Selecting Major: Undecided or Engineering?

• Programs
  • Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary: Those classes will be good for your career, but they won't be very helpful when it comes to your specific major. Really, the most important thing you can do is talk to your advisor and get their advice on what classes are important for your major. In summary, it's important to talk to your advisor and decide what classes are important for your major. Make sure to take classes that will be helpful in your field and not unrelated.
z-component
It's time now for me to be sending in my undergraduate applications. I am still stuck on exactly what I want to list as my choice of major. I'm pretty sure that I want to do mechanical or aeronautical engineering, but not exactly sure. I am, however, certain on the fact that I want to be taking advanced physics and mathematics courses. Should I just go in as 'Undecided' and pick the classes I want to take with the help of my Student Advisor?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always declare with one of those majors and take the introductory engineering class along with math and general education requirements. That's basically what's going on wiht my schedule this semester even though I'm pretty much set on my major.

Besides, it's normally very easy to change majors early in college. I actually applied as a history major and then switched to aerospace engineering.

Please note that this depends VERY highly on the school you go to. At most schools, and certainly at UW-Madison where I went, engineering school is very highly sought-after and it is difficult to get into the various engineering dept. as a transfer IF they are already full. While I think if you are in the school of Liberal Arts and Science (or something to that effect) or other colleges that you may delay your choices, if you plan to go into engineering, I highly recommend that you make sure you select an engineering major early. Unless I forgot, you're planning on going to Penn. St. And so do a large number of other kids. I would then suggest you declare a major soon if you intend to do engineering. If there is a way for you to select an "general engineering" without commiting to any dept. within the engineering school, then maybe you might want to do that if you can't make up your mind.

Zz.

Thanks,

Yes, that's right. I'm looking at Penn State. There's a major called "Engineering (General)" that doesn't commit to one department of engineering. Right now, that is my alternate major with my first-choice major being Mechanical Engineering. Maybe I should switch those.

z-component said:
Thanks,

Yes, that's right. I'm looking at Penn State. There's a major called "Engineering (General)" that doesn't commit to one department of engineering. Right now, that is my alternate major with my first-choice major being Mechanical Engineering. Maybe I should switch those.

Make sure, make sure, make sure you double check with your advisor FIRST before committing to such things. Ask him/her how easy or difficult it is to declare you major later and whether you are guaranteed to get in (assuming your grades are within the limits they accept).

Zz.

Many engineering schools enroll you in general engineering until the end of your second year then you declare the department (civil, electrical, etc...). During the first two years you end up taking all of the common courses like mechanics, engineering programming etc...

Great information! Thanks!

Have you considered Drexel, they have a good program and I have hired more than one of their graduates. If you want to get away from home, it isn't the place to go, Penn State is farther away. I used to live up the road from you not too far.

Yes, Drexel is my second choice, however, I don't particularly like the location. That's cool, where did you used to live?

If you want to go into engineering, and want to take "advanced math", be sure to take something that's applied, and not something wholly unrelated to your field, like algebra, or number theory.

1. What is the difference between being undecided and choosing engineering as a major?

Being undecided means that you have not yet chosen a specific major or field of study. This allows you to explore different subjects and determine what interests you the most. Choosing engineering as a major means that you have selected a specific field of study that focuses on applying scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems.

2. How do I know if engineering is the right major for me?

There are a few key factors to consider when deciding if engineering is the right major for you. First, think about your interests and strengths - do you enjoy solving problems, working with numbers, and understanding how things work? Next, research the different types of engineering (such as civil, mechanical, electrical, etc.) to see which aligns with your interests. You can also speak with current engineering students or professionals to gain insight into the field.

3. What are the benefits of being undecided as a major?

Being undecided allows you the flexibility to explore different subjects and determine what truly interests you. This can help you avoid choosing a major that you may not enjoy or excel in. It also gives you the opportunity to take a variety of classes and gain a well-rounded education before committing to a specific major.

4. Can I switch from being undecided to an engineering major?

Yes, it is possible to switch from being undecided to an engineering major. However, it may require you to take extra courses or catch up on specific prerequisites. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to create a plan for switching majors and to ensure you meet all requirements.

5. What if I am interested in both engineering and another subject?

It is possible to combine engineering with another subject through a double major or a minor. This allows you to pursue your interests in both fields and potentially open up more career opportunities in the future. However, it may require a heavier course load and careful planning to successfully complete both majors.