Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selecting the correct diode

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    I need to know what diode to use for the following spec:

I need to use this for my motorcycle. I have 2 xenon headlamps working on my bike but 1 lamp lits up for low beam and the other for high beam, now I need to light up both which means I've got to use a diode. Need to know which is the best diode for this purpose?

Battery output: 12v, 4A
    Headlight output: 12v, 35w
    Xenon Ballast input voltage, 9-16v

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2
    Post a schematic. If you have a single ballast and two arc lamps you can't run them both.

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3
    I have two ballast individually for both the lamps. But when i turn on the low beam one bulb lights up n for the high beam the other bulbs lights up. I need both the bulbs to light up when i turn on High beam. Th e output voltage for the bulb is 12v, 35w.

Attached Files:

• 1.bmp
      1.bmp
      File size:
      255.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/lamps.PNG [Broken]

The diode would be carrying about 3 amps, but should be rated for about 6 amps. It would need to be the type you can mount on a heatsink. Insulate the heat sink from ground.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook