DC Motor for 6kg Aluminium Disc at 1600rpm

In summary, the individual is looking for a motor to rotate a circular aluminium disc with the dimensions of 6kg, 30cm radius, and a required speed of 1600rpm. The motor needs to be able to rotate the disc both horizontally and vertically. The disc will be used to make a gyroscopic suitcase, so it needs to be able to rotate in both orientations and without any other load placed on it. The suggestion was made to search for a 12V 1600rpm DC motor, but the individual is having difficulty finding a suitable motor that can provide the required torque and operate with a 12V battery.
Silwal
hello,
I need to rotate a circular aluminium disc with a Battrey powred DC motor. I am having problem in finding the right kind of motor. The total mass of the disc is 6 kg, radius of 30 cm and have to be rotated both horizontally and vertically. I need to rotate it at 1600 rpm. So what would be the appropriate motor to rotate the disc.

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How fast do you need to get up to speed?

What do you mean that you need to rotate it horizontally and vertically? Does it need to operate in both orientations or both ways simultaneously?

What is it rotating in (vacuum, air, water, molasses, etc.) and is there any other load placed on it?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
How fast do you need to get up to speed?

What do you mean that you need to rotate it horizontally and vertically? Does it need to operate in both orientations or both ways simultaneously?

What is it rotating in (vacuum, air, water, molasses, etc.) and is there any other load placed on it?

BoB
I just want to make a Gyroscopic suitcase with a inbuilt motor. So the orientation could be both and there is not any load on that rotating disc. Just the thing is that it need a high speed enough to get the gyroscopic effect.

Silwal said:
hello,
I need to rotate a circular aluminium disc with a Battrey powred DC motor. I am having problem in finding the right kind of motor. The total mass of the disc is 6 kg, radius of 30 cm and have to be rotated both horizontally and vertically. I need to rotate it at 1600 rpm. So what would be the appropriate motor to rotate the disc.

thank you.

Silwal said:
I just want to make a Gyroscopic suitcase with a inbuilt motor. So the orientation could be both and there is not any load on that rotating disc. Just the thing is that it need a high speed enough to get the gyroscopic effect.

Try doing a Google Images search for 12V 1600rpm DC motor, and click into some of the images to see the specs of potential motor candidates. You will likely need a pretty beefy 12Vdc battery to supply the motor for any length of time...

Also make sure your support is strong enough. You might need to use extra bearings to keep from destroying the motor or bending the shaft.

BoB

berkeman said:
Try doing a Google Images search for 12V 1600rpm DC motor, and click into some of the images to see the specs of potential motor candidates. You will likely need a pretty beefy 12Vdc battery to supply the motor for any length of time...
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to search it but could not find the proper motor that could provide the required torque. And since it need to operate with 12V battery its difficult to find a suitable motor that could give a high torque with the required speed.

1. How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy through the use of a magnetic field. When a current is passed through the motor's coils, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets inside the motor. This interaction causes the motor to rotate, producing mechanical energy.

2. What is the maximum weight that a DC motor can lift?

The maximum weight that a DC motor can lift depends on various factors such as the motor's power, torque, and efficiency. However, for a 6kg aluminium disc at 1600rpm, a DC motor with a power output of at least 1.5 horsepower would be suitable.

3. How do you control the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage and current supplied to the motor. This can be done manually using a variable power supply or through electronic speed control (ESC) systems. The speed can also be controlled by changing the number of windings in the motor's coils or by using gears.

4. Can a DC motor be used for other applications besides lifting objects?

Yes, DC motors have a wide range of applications besides lifting objects. They are commonly used in electric vehicles, household appliances, industrial machinery, and robotics. They are also used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. What are the advantages of using a DC motor for lifting objects?

Some advantages of using a DC motor for lifting objects include their compact size, high torque output, and ability to control speed and direction. They are also more efficient and have a longer lifespan compared to other types of motors. Additionally, DC motors are easy to maintain and can be powered by various sources such as batteries, solar panels, and AC power supplies.