Understanding Hydrogen Selection Rules: Emission vs. Absorption and the p-Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of arrow heads in an attached image and the rules for emission and absorption in atomic transitions. The participants also mention the possibility of absorption when a light source is present and the limitations in observing absorption lines. They conclude by confirming the possibility of absorption, as explained by the selection rules.
M. next
Please see attachment. What are the arrow heads supposed to mean? Only emission is allowed and no absorption?
I mean, selection rules allow Δl=±1. But the figure is saying otherwise.

I also read in another book, that the only series observed in absorption is that to the ground state, where it is called the p-series.

Please explain, I am kind of lost in figures and resources.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-13-14-20-24_20130413142054077-1557689002.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-13-14-20-24_20130413142054077-1557689002.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
The image is drawn for emission only - absorption is possible, too, if you have some source of light. The combination of excited atoms plus light of the right frequency for a transition can be rare, however.

But if I reversed the arrows in this figure so that I aim to draw a figure of absorption, all drawn lines will be possible, no?
(i.e, if I reversed the heads with tails of all arrows presented in the figure).

They are possible, but you won't see most absorption lines if you shine light on hydrogen in its ground state.

Ok, thanks, I just wanted to make sure of they were possible! As selection rules explain. Thanks again.

1. What are selection rules for hydrogen?

The selection rules for hydrogen refer to the set of rules that determine which energy levels are allowed for an electron in a hydrogen atom to transition between. These rules are based on the conservation of energy and angular momentum.

2. How do selection rules affect the spectral lines of hydrogen?

The selection rules for hydrogen dictate which transitions are allowed, and therefore affect the spectral lines that are observed. Only transitions that obey the selection rules will produce a spectral line in the spectrum of hydrogen.

3. What is the significance of selection rules in the study of hydrogen?

The selection rules for hydrogen are significant because they provide a framework for understanding the spectral lines observed in the spectrum of hydrogen. They also help to explain the energy levels and transitions of electrons in a hydrogen atom.

4. How are selection rules for hydrogen related to the Bohr model?

The selection rules for hydrogen are closely related to the Bohr model, as they both involve the concept of energy levels and transitions of electrons in a hydrogen atom. The Bohr model helps to explain the selection rules by using the idea of quantized energy levels.

5. Are selection rules for hydrogen applicable to other atoms?

While the selection rules for hydrogen were originally developed for the study of hydrogen, they can also be applied to other atoms with only minor modifications. This is because the fundamental principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum still hold true for other atoms, but the specific values may differ.