Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selectively Reducing Fe(III)

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    Hi All,

I have been searching the web for days now, trying to find a way to selectively reduce Fe(III) to Fe(II) without reducing the uranium oxide (UO22+) present, and was hoping someone with more of a chemistry background could give me some advice on what to try/do.

Cheers
    Simon

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Hi, and welcome to PF!

I did some searching on my own, and I think this works.

The reaction UO2+ + e- → U4+ + 2O2- has a standard reduction potential of 0.38 V.

The reaction Fe3+ + e- → Fe2+ has a standard reduction potential of 0.771 V.

Since the iron reaction has a higher potential, you can construct a cell where the anode reaction has a potential higher than 0.38 but lower than 0.771, which will then be spontaneous for the iron reaction but not for the uranium reaction.

http://www.webelements.com/uranium/compounds.html

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

O2- in water solution? That's not the reaction you will observe.

--

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    No, I realize that. Each oxygen ion will immediately deprotinate a water molecule making OH-.

All I really wanted from the reaction was the reduction potential, but you are right of course, it's not the right picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook