Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Selectively Reducing Fe(III)

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    Hi All,

I have been searching the web for days now, trying to find a way to selectively reduce Fe(III) to Fe(II) without reducing the uranium oxide (UO22+) present, and was hoping someone with more of a chemistry background could give me some advice on what to try/do.

Cheers
    Simon

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    Hi, and welcome to PF!

I did some searching on my own, and I think this works.

The reaction UO2+ + e- → U4+ + 2O2- has a standard reduction potential of 0.38 V.

The reaction Fe3+ + e- → Fe2+ has a standard reduction potential of 0.771 V.

Since the iron reaction has a higher potential, you can construct a cell where the anode reaction has a potential higher than 0.38 but lower than 0.771, which will then be spontaneous for the iron reaction but not for the uranium reaction.

http://www.webelements.com/uranium/compounds.html

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

O2- in water solution? That's not the reaction you will observe.

--

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    No, I realize that. Each oxygen ion will immediately deprotinate a water molecule making OH-.

All I really wanted from the reaction was the reduction potential, but you are right of course, it's not the right picture.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook