1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-adjoint operator problem

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if the operator Q satifies

[tex](\phi,Q\phi)=(Q\phi,\phi)[/tex] for all [tex]\phi[/tex], then Q is self-adjoint , that is

[tex](\varphi,QX)=(Q\varphi,X).[/tex] Consider the functions

[tex]\phi_1=\varphi+X[/tex],[tex] \phi_2=\phi+i*X[/tex]

Note: X is NOT a matrix. Could not find the latex code for the curvy X so i just typed X

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex](\phi,Q\phi)=(Q\phi,\phi)[/tex] =[tex](\phi_1,Q\phi_1)=(Q\phi_1,\phi_1)=(\varphi+X),Q(\varphi+X), [/tex] (Q\phi,\phi)=[tex](\phi_2,Q\phi_2)=(Q\phi_1,\phi)=(\varphi+X)i,Q(\varphi+X)i[/tex] ? Am I off in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2
    is my question to esoteric

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is hard to sort out what you are doing because your Latex code is mangled up. I would start with what is known, namely

[tex]((\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi+\chi))=(Q(\varphi+\chi),(\varphi+\chi))[/tex]

and develop each side separately, i.e.

Left side =
    Right side =

Set the two sides equal and use that

[tex](\chi,Q\chi)=(Q\chi,\chi);\ (\varphi,Q\varphi)=(Q\varphi,\varphi)[/tex]

to get some terms to cancel. After that you should be able to see how to finish. BTW "curvy X" is \chi.

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4

shouldn't I plug in [tex]\phi_2[/tex] as well ?

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is part 2. Do this one first to see how it works, then do the other one following the same procedure.

7. Sep 22, 2009 #6
    [tex]
    ((\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi+\chi))=q(\varphi+\chi), (\varphi+\chi))=q*(\varphi+\chi), (\varphi+\chi))[/tex], q is some number.
    So now what?

8. Sep 23, 2009 #7

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you given that Qφ = qφ where q is some number? It does not appear so. You need to distribute Q and get four terms on each side.

9. Sep 23, 2009 #8
    no, it is given in a section of my textbook but not in the problem.[tex](\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi+\chi)=(\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi)+Q(\chi)=(\varphi,Q\varphi)+(\chi,Q(\chi)[/tex] given that
    [tex]
    (\phi,Q\phi)=(Q\phi,\phi)
    [/tex],then [tex](\varphi,Q\varphi)+(\chi,Q(\chi)=Q(\varphi,\varphi)+Q(\chi,\chi)?[/tex]

10. Sep 23, 2009 #9

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does your textbook say the definition of the notation

[tex](\varphi,Q\varphi)[/tex]

is? Is there any reason to believe that

[tex](\varphi,Q\varphi)=Q(\varphi,\varphi) ?[/tex]

The parentheses with the comma in between them mean something. What is it?

11. Sep 23, 2009 #10
    it is the notation for the inner product. I think that I can only move Q out side when its a constant, but Q is a matrix. my book says: [tex](\varphi,Q\varphi)=(Q\varphi,\varphi)[/tex]

12. Sep 23, 2009 #11

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. So you cannot move Q outside the parentheses. It is a matrix and it needs a vector to operate on. This means that Q needs to be inside the parentheses either on the left or on the right side of the comma. What you wrote in posting #8 is incorrect. Try again.

13. Sep 23, 2009 #12
    [tex]
    (\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi+\chi)=(\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi)+Q(\chi)=(\varphi,Q\varphi)+(\chi,Q(\chi)= (\varphi,Q\varphi)+(\chi,Q(\chi)=(Q\varphi,\varphi )+(Q\chi,\chi)=(Q\varphi+Q\chi,\varphi+\chi)=(Q(\varphi+\chi),(\varphi+\chi)?
    [/tex]

therefore[tex] (\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi+\chi))=(Q(\varphi+\chi),(\varphi+\chi))[/tex] and is self-adjointed?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  14. Sep 23, 2009 #13

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One more time. Start with the left side and split it into two terms

[tex]((\varphi+\chi),Q(\varphi+\chi))=((\varphi+\chi),Q\varphi)+((\varphi+\chi),Q\chi) [/tex]

the last result can be split into four terms

[tex]=(\varphi,Q\varphi)+(\chi,Q\varphi)+(\varphi,Q\chi)+(\chi,Q\chi) [/tex]

Now do the same with the right side which is

[tex](Q(\varphi+\chi),(\varphi+\chi))[/tex]

then set the two sides equal.

15. Sep 23, 2009 #14
    [tex]
    (Q(\varphi+\chi),(\varphi+\chi))=((Q\varphi,(\varphi+\chi))+(Q\chi,(\varphi+\chi)=
    ((Q\varphi,(\varphi+\chi))+(Q\chi,(\varphi+\chi)=(Q\varphi,\varphi)+((Q\varphi,\chi)+(Q\chi, \varphi)+(Q\chi,\chi)=(\varphi,Q\varphi)+((\varphi,Q\chi)+(\chi, Q\varphi)+(\chi,Q\chi) ?[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook