Self-adjoint operator

joshmccraney
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given two linear self-adjoint operators ##A,B##, is it true ##AB## is also self-adjoint.

Homework Equations

Self adjoint implies ##(A[f],g) = (f,A[g])##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure. I'm stuck almost right away: ##(AB[f],g) = (A[B[f]],g) = (B[f],Ag) = (f,BAg) = (f,ABg)##. Last equality is from linearity of ##B,A##. The first few steps I think follow from self-adjoint of ##A,B##.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
The last equality requires A and B to commute. That two operators are linear is certainly no guarantee for them to commute.

Likes joshmccraney
joshmccraney
Gold Member
The last equality requires A and B to commute. That two operators are linear is certainly no guarantee for them to commute.
Riiiiight, good call! So what should I do to prove two operators commute? Are there any sufficient conditions?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Given the problem formulation, are you sure that what you want to do is to prove that A and B commute?

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Given the problem formulation, are you sure that what you want to do is to prove that A and B commute?
I guess I'm mostly interested to know when two linear operators are able to commute. Unless there is a better way to know if ##AB## is self adjoint (I realize I had the question stem all bold, so I corrected it).

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
The point is that you have essentially shown that AB is self adjoint if A and B commute. So in order to answer the question ”is AB self adjoint?” you must ask yourself ”is it true that A and B always commute”. If you can find a single counter example, then you will have shown it to not be the case.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
The point is that you have essentially shown that AB is self adjoint if A and B commute. So in order to answer the question ”is AB self adjoint?” you must ask yourself ”is it true that A and B always commute”. If you can find a single counter example, then you will have shown it to not be the case.
Well both operators are linear differential operators, so they should commute then right?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
Well both operators are linear differential operators, so they should commute then right?
No.

Likes joshmccraney
joshmccraney
Gold Member
No.
I do have a related question. Suppose we have a functional defined as $$J[f] = (A[f],f)$$ and then I want to find the stationary points of the functional, so that ##\delta J = (\delta A[f],f) = (A[\delta f],f)##. Is the last equality true (##A## is linear as mentioned above)?