Calculating Self and Mutual Inductance: A Derivation of Formulas Using Solenoids

In summary, the magnetic field inside a solenoid is given by B = μiN1/L, where μ is the permeability of free space, i is the current flowing through the solenoid, and N1 is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid. This formula can be derived by applying Ampere's law to an ideal solenoid and using the number of turns per unit length to represent the enclosed current. Parts b and c of the solution are also correct, providing the formulas for self-inductance and mutual inductance, respectively.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

problem 5.png

Homework Equations

[/B]

∫BdL = μi

Φ = BA (flux)

S= NΦ/i (self inductance)

M = NΦ/i (mutual inductance)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ∫BdL = μi
BL = μi
B = μi/L
since the solenoid has N1 turns
B = μiN1/L

b) flux Φ = BA = AμiN1/L
self inductance S = N1Φ/i = N1(AμiN1/L)/i = N1^2μA/L

c) mutual inductance M = N2Φ/i = N1N2μA/L

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 83108

Homework Equations

[/B]

∫BdL = μi

Φ = BA (flux)

S= NΦ/i (self inductance)

M = NΦ/i (mutual inductance)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ∫BdL = μi
BL = μi
B = μi/L
since the solenoid has N1 turns
B = μiN1/L

If i is the current flowing in the wire of the coil, the formula ∫BdL = μi is not correct. You need to show or explain the integration path .

Likes toothpaste666
For part a), I would assume ##\vec B## is uniform within the solenoid and zero outside of it. If you place a rectangular Amperian loop ##\partial \Sigma## with corners ##a, b, c, d## along a cross section of this ideal solenoid, the left side of Ampere's law will give:

$$\oint_{\partial \Sigma} \vec B \cdot d \vec S = \int_a^b \vec B \cdot d \vec S + \int_b^c \vec B \cdot d \vec S + \int_c^d \vec B \cdot d \vec S + \int_d^a \vec B \cdot d \vec S$$

The first integral yields:

$$\int_a^b \vec B \cdot d \vec S = B \int_a^b dS = BL$$

Where ##B = |\vec B|## and ##L## is the length of ##\partial \Sigma## from ##a## to ##b##.

The third integral is taken along a segment of ##\partial \Sigma##, which lies outside of the solenoid. The magnetic field outside the solenoid is zero, hence the integral is zero.

The second and fourth integrals work out to zero because ##\vec B## is either orthogonal to ##d \vec S##, or is equal to zero outside of the solenoid.

Hence we can write:

$$\oint_{\partial \Sigma} \vec B \cdot d \vec S = BL$$

Now using the right side of Ampere's law:

$$BL = \mu_0 i_{enc}$$

The loop ##\partial \Sigma## encloses ##nL## turns where ##n## is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid. Using this, the enclosed current can be re-written as:

$$i_{enc} = inL$$

Where ##i## is the actual current in the solenoid windings. Hence we can write:

$$BL = \mu_0 inL$$
$$B = \mu_0 in$$
$$B = \mu_0 iN_1$$

This is the magnetic field inside the solenoid.

Likes toothpaste666
Zondrina said:
$$B = \mu_0 iN_1/L$$

This is the magnetic field inside the solenoid.

Likes toothpaste666
Thank you that derivation helped alot. I knew the formula from my book but the derivation of it confused me.

so its
BL = μienc
since ienc = iN1
so
BL = μiN1
B =μiN1/L

Are parts b) and c) ok? I am pretty sure I did part b) right but I am not as confident about part c)

toothpaste666 said:
Thank you that derivation helped alot. I knew the formula from my book but the derivation of it confused me.

so its
BL = μienc
since ienc = iN1
so
BL = μiN1
B =μiN1/L

Are parts b) and c) ok? I am pretty sure I did part b) right but I am not as confident about part c)
Right on all counts incl. parts b and c!

Likes toothpaste666
Thank you all

I always preferred the turns/length version of the derivation, but there is little difference in the final formulas.

Everything else looked good otherwise.

1. What is the difference between self-inductance and mutual inductance?

Self-inductance is the property of a circuit in which a changing current creates a magnetic field that induces a voltage in the same circuit. Mutual inductance, on the other hand, is the property of two circuits in which a changing current in one circuit induces a voltage in the other circuit.

2. How do self-inductance and mutual inductance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Self-inductance and mutual inductance can both cause changes in the flow of current in a circuit. Self-inductance can lead to voltage spikes and delays in current changes, while mutual inductance can cause interference and signal distortion between the two circuits.

3. How can self-inductance and mutual inductance be measured?

Self-inductance can be measured using an inductor, a component specifically designed to have a high self-inductance. Mutual inductance can be measured using a transformer, which allows for the measurement of the voltage induced in the second circuit.

4. Can self-inductance and mutual inductance be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, self-inductance and mutual inductance can be controlled and adjusted by changing the physical properties of the circuit, such as the number of turns in an inductor or the distance between two circuits in mutual inductance.

5. What are some real-world applications of self-inductance and mutual inductance?

Self-inductance is used in devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. Mutual inductance is commonly seen in wireless power transfer systems, as well as inductive charging for devices such as smartphones and electric toothbrushes.