Revolutionary Self-Cleaning Underwear: US Air Force Tech

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the new technology attaches nanoparticles to clothing fibers using microwaves. The nanoparticles then combine with chemicals that can repel water, oil and bacteria. This coating both kills bacteria, and forces liquids to bead and run off. This technology could revolutionize the sport apparel industry by making clothing more hygeneable and last longer without needing to be washed.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Self-cleaning fabrics could revolutionize the sport apparel industry. The technology, created by scientists working for the U.S. Air Force, has already been used to create t-shirts and underwear that can be worn hygenically for weeks without washing.
The new technology attaches nanoparticles to clothing fibers using microwaves. Then, chemicals that can repel water, oil and bacteria are directly bound to the nanoparticles. These two elements combine to create a protective coating on the fibers of the material.

This coating both kills bacteria, and forces liquids to bead and run off. [continued]
http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/070105_nanofabric.html

This reminds me of an old army joke: After living in the field for a week under the most primative conditions, the commanding officer decided to give his troops a break and allow a change of underwear. So he called the troops to attention and gave them the good news. "Men, in the interest of personal hygene, we are going to change our shorts today. Private Smith, change with Private Gonzales. Private Jones, change with Private Black..."

Physics news on Phys.org
The technology, created by scientists working for the U.S. Air Force, has already been used to create t-shirts and underwear that can be worn hygenically for weeks without washing.

Wow this means I won't have to change my underwear for a whole year :biggrin:

Kurdt said:
Wow this means I won't have to change my underwear for a whole year :biggrin:

so for you, basically nothing changes, eh? :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
so for you, basically nothing changes, eh? :tongue:

Well I'm anticipating an increase in the wear time.

The new technology attaches nanoparticles to clothing fibers using microwaves.
Micro and nano? How you could possibly pass up on that?

Once I get my first crateload of undies, my underwear laundry frequency will be in the range of picohertz! Hooray!

nano-panties? That just dosen't sound right.

hypatia said:
nano-panties? That just dosen't sound right.

But look at the potential for attachments...

Could be useful in serious inflight emergencies.:smile:

(G-)strings at the nano-scale!

This doesn't help those of us who do not wear underwear :tongue2:

T M I !

I've never seen "TMI" used before, but it only took a few microseconds to understand the meaning.

Ivan Seeking said:
I've never seen "TMI" used before, but it only took a few microseconds to understand the meaning.

:rofl: Just had to look to the post above it, huh? :yuck:

Ivan Seeking said:

Call me an old fart. I had to think a bit.

Trans Mars Injection? Nope. That takes a spacesuit, let alone underwear.
Technical Military Instruction? Nope. That was in the OP.
Touched, Moved, and Inspired? DaveC, you're sick!

Too Much Information!

This was going to be my response as well.

Ivan Seeking said:
Too Much Information!

I was just having fun. I have three sons, late teens to early twenties. I have learned not to ask questions that lead to TMI, such as "How did you get mud all over the inside of the van?"

Good idea, esp when it comes to a van! :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
T M I !

I thought it was "Too Many Instructions" i was thinking of nano-panties within nano-panties within nano-panties, like a Russell's pantiedox...

I wonder if they chaff, are they non-stick?

D H said:
I have three sons, late teens to early twenties. I have learned not to ask questions that lead to TMI, such as "How did you get mud all over the inside of the van?"
Two. Both early twenties. Both men.

"Why do you have a bandage over your eyebrow/nose/lip/tongue/navel and what you need the peroxide for?"

"Why do you keep needing the toilet plunger in the downstairs bathroom?"

What is "Revolutionary Self-Cleaning Underwear"?

"Revolutionary Self-Cleaning Underwear" is a new type of underwear developed by the US Air Force that has the ability to clean itself without the need for washing. It is made from a special fabric that has antimicrobial properties and can repel dirt and stains.

How does the self-cleaning technology work?

The self-cleaning technology used in this underwear is called "hydrophobic nanotechnology". It involves coating the fabric with microscopic particles that repel water and oils, preventing them from sticking to the fabric. This makes the underwear resistant to dirt, sweat, and other stains, keeping it clean and fresh for longer periods of time.

Is the self-cleaning technology safe for the environment?

Yes, the self-cleaning technology used in this underwear is safe for the environment. The fabric is made from natural materials and the hydrophobic coating used is biodegradable. This means that the underwear is not only beneficial for the wearer, but also for the planet.

Can the self-cleaning underwear be used by anyone?

Yes, the self-cleaning underwear can be used by anyone. It is designed to be comfortable and functional for both men and women. The fabric is also breathable and moisture-wicking, making it suitable for all types of activities and climates.

What are the potential applications of this technology?

The self-cleaning technology used in this underwear has the potential for various applications, such as in military and outdoor gear, medical textiles, and even in household items like bed sheets and towels. It can also be used in industries that require high levels of cleanliness, such as food processing and healthcare.