Can Low Self Esteem Affect My Dating Life?

• Thread starter aaronbenjamin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of low self-esteem and its impact on meeting new people. The suggestion is made to break the cycle by working on improving social skills, which can also boost self-esteem. The conversation also touches on physical insecurities, such as moles and a high forehead, and the suggestion is made to get them removed. However, the person shares their past experience of scarring and expresses hesitation. The idea of not caring about what others think is mentioned, but some suggest that confidence comes first before being able to do so. The conversation ends with the suggestion to be understanding and open with others who may have similar insecurities.
aaronbenjamin
hi, i am concerned that my lack of self esteem may be making it hard for me to meet someone, any advice? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing your doubt about meeting someone is due to a cycle: you have low self esteem, which makes you unsure of your social skills, which reinforces your low self esteem.

You need to break the cycle. I suggest doing that by working to improve your social skills. This can help you meet someone, and can also improve your self esteem.

Social skills are like any other skill: to improve, you need to practice, practice, practice. How much do you interact with people now (either gender, any setting)?

lisab said:
I'm guessing your doubt about meeting someone is due to a cycle: you have low self esteem, which makes you unsure of your social skills, which reinforces your low self esteem.

You need to break the cycle. I suggest doing that by working to improve your social skills. This can help you meet someone, and can also improve your self esteem.

Social skills are like any other skill: to improve, you need to practice, practice, practice. How much do you interact with people now (either gender, any setting)?

hi Lisa, and thank you for your advice. i do socialize with people now pretty well i think. i think that part of my lack of self esteem is due to a) some moles that i have on my back that i find unattractive and b) a high forehead which looks a bit odd when i have short hair or when my hair is not sitting on head so well. there is another issue as well, but this may be enough for starters. thank you again.

The moles you should get removed. Seriously, if they are impacting you, do it; don't be embarrassed to ask your doc to do it.

Actually for health reasons, it's a good idea, especially if they're in a place where you can not monitor them for changes.

lisab said:
The moles you should get removed. Seriously, if they are impacting you, do it; don't be embarrassed to ask your doc to do it.

Actually for health reasons, it's a good idea, especially if they're in a place where you can not monitor them for changes.

when i was a teenager i asked a doctor to remove a few of the moles and he did but they left some scars. maybe a more refined technique could be used for some of the others. thanks for the suggestion i will look into it when i can.

the fastest way is to hang out with people who are confident and pickup on their certain behaviours that you like. Also stop caring what people think - only way to do that is to make a fool of yourself in public.

AFG34 said:
the fastest way is to hang out with people who are confident and pickup on their certain behaviours that you like. Also stop caring what people think - only way to do that is to make a fool of yourself in public.

thanks for the suggestion but i don't know if i am up to that one.

AFG34 said:
Also stop caring what people think - only way to do that is to make a fool of yourself in public.

+1 to this. Looking back I was way too self-conscious in my youth...worried about what other people would think and letting their opinions define me. Know yourself, stay true to yourself, the rest doesn't really matter...

AFG34 said:
... Also stop caring what people think - only way to do that is to make a fool of yourself in public.

I wasn't able to just stop caring what other people thought until I became a confident person. I believe confidence comes first. In other words, "not caring" is a by-product of confidence.

You can become more confident about your physical self-esteem issues by realizing that everyone has such insecurities. If you are friendly and give someone with similar self-esteem issues the feeling that you are not going to judge, ridicule, or tease them about their issues then you two might get to the point where you can divulge your insecurities and a big weight will be lifted off both of you, which will strengthen your relationship if you're ready for that.

brainstorm said:
You can become more confident about your physical self-esteem issues by realizing that everyone has such insecurities. If you are friendly and give someone with similar self-esteem issues the feeling that you are not going to judge, ridicule, or tease them about their issues then you two might get to the point where you can divulge your insecurities and a big weight will be lifted off both of you, which will strengthen your relationship if you're ready for that.

Thanks to all, some interesting ideas floating around here.

1. How does low self-esteem affect my dating life?

Low self-esteem can have a significant impact on your dating life. It can make you doubt yourself and your worth, leading to insecurities and fear of rejection. This can prevent you from putting yourself out there and pursuing potential relationships. It can also cause you to settle for less than you deserve or tolerate unhealthy behaviors from a partner.

2. Can low self-esteem make me attracted to toxic or unhealthy partners?

Yes, low self-esteem can make you more likely to be attracted to partners who may not be good for you. People with low self-esteem often have a fear of being alone and may feel like they don't deserve someone who treats them well. This can lead them to stay in toxic or unhealthy relationships, as they may believe it's the best they can get.

3. Will low self-esteem make me sabotage my relationships?

It's possible that low self-esteem can cause you to sabotage your relationships. This can happen if you constantly doubt yourself and your partner's feelings for you. You may push your partner away or create unnecessary conflicts due to your insecurities. It's important to work on improving your self-esteem to avoid sabotaging a potentially healthy relationship.

4. How can I improve my dating life if I have low self-esteem?

The first step to improving your dating life with low self-esteem is to work on building your self-confidence. This can involve challenging negative thoughts about yourself, setting boundaries, and practicing self-care. It's also important to surround yourself with supportive and positive people who can help boost your self-esteem. Seeking therapy or counseling can also be beneficial in improving your self-esteem and overall well-being.

5. Can low self-esteem be a deal breaker for potential partners?

While low self-esteem is a common struggle, it can be a deal breaker for some potential partners. People with high self-esteem tend to have healthy boundaries and won't tolerate being treated poorly. Additionally, constantly seeking validation and reassurance from a partner can be draining and may push them away. It's important to work on improving your self-esteem for your own well-being, but also to have a healthier and more fulfilling dating life.