Seeking Guidance to Find Surface & Volume Bound Charges of a Half Cone

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question posted on a physics forum regarding the polarisation of a half cone and the calculation of bound charges. The original poster received no response and decided to post the question as a self-formulated homework problem. The conversation involved clarifications on the approach to finding surface and volume bound charges, as well as guidance on using Cartesian coordinates to calculate the divergence. The conversation also touched on the surface charge density on the top circular surface of the cone. The thread was eventually closed by the request of the original poster, who found their approach to be incorrect.
warhammer
Homework Statement
Cone shown in figure has half angle θ, vertical height h & radius R. Its axis is along z direction. Cone is polarised along z direction with Vector P= P(o)z(zhat) where P(o) is a constant. Find surface & volume bound charge density.
Relevant Equations
σ(b)= P(vector) * (nhat)
ρ(b)= - ∇* P(vector)
This was a trivial question I had (which I posted here on the PF EM Forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bound-charges-polarisation-of-a-half-cone.1015308/).

As I received no response on the above link I decided to post the same as a self formulated HW problem. Below I have attached an image of the cone as well as my solution in chronological order.

I request someone to please have a look and guide me if my approach to find the Surface & Volume Bound Charges is fine or not. If it isn't, I would also request guidance on how to find it correctly🙏🏻.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-18-18-39-29-48_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-18-18-39-29-48_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20220519-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20220519-WA0013.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-20220519-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20220519-WA0014.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20220519-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20220519-WA0015.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 72
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
For ##\sigma_b## at a point on the lateral side (sloping surface) of the cone, I follow you up to where you get ##\sigma_b = -r \sin\theta \cos\theta##. Here, ##r## is the distance from the point of interest to the vertex of the cone. Note that ##\sigma_b## varies with ##r##, so it is not a constant on the lateral side. But then you went on to write this in terms of the total height ##h## of the cone and the radius ##R## of the cone: ##\sigma_b= -\frac{P_0 h R}{\sqrt{R^2+h^2}}##. The right-hand side is now a constant, which you know is not the case.

If you want, you can express ##\sigma_b## for the lateral side in terms of ##z## instead of ##r##. You found ##\sigma_b = P_0z (\hat z \cdot \hat n)##. Express ## \hat z \cdot \hat n## in terms of ##\theta##.

For finding the volume charge density, try using Cartesian coordinates for calculating the divergence. I think you'll see that it is much easier than using spherical coordinates.

What about the surface charge density on the top circular surface of the cone?

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and warhammer
TSny said:
For ##\sigma_b## at a point on the lateral side (sloping surface) of the cone, I follow you up to where you get ##\sigma_b = -r \sin\theta \cos\theta##. Here, ##r## is the distance from the point of interest to the vertex of the cone. Note that ##\sigma_b## varies with ##r##, so it is not a constant on the lateral side. But then you went on to write this in terms of the total height ##h## of the cone and the radius ##R## of the cone: ##\sigma_b= -\frac{P_0 h R}{\sqrt{R^2+h^2}}##. The right-hand side is now a constant, which you know is not the case.

If you want, you can express ##\sigma_b## for the lateral side in terms of ##z## instead of ##r##. You found ##\sigma_b = P_0z (\hat z \cdot \hat n)##. Express ## \hat z \cdot \hat n## in terms of ##\theta##.

For finding the volume charge density, try using Cartesian coordinates for calculating the divergence. I think you'll see that it is much easier than using spherical coordinates.

What about the surface charge density on the top circular surface of the cone?
Thank you so much sir for your prompt response. For the lateral side keeping in mind I cannot use constants, the value of ##\sigma_b=-P_0r\sin\theta\cos\theta## . I hope this is now the correct representation..

Yes! I mistakenly went through the flow and calculated volume charge density in SPC when it is much simpler and easier to use the Cartesian Coordinates here.

I was having trouble while trying to focus on surface charge density at the circular surface.. I was not able to visualise how and what coordinates will be altered or if it will altogether factor in or not.. Would you please offer some guidance on how to proceed with the same🙏🏻

Your expression for ##\sigma_b## for the lateral side looks good.

For the top surface, you can use your formula ##\sigma_b = P_0 z( \hat z \cdot \hat n)## with appropriate values of ##z## and ##\hat z \cdot \hat n##.

• Love
Likes warhammer
Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Thread will remain closed by the request of the OP. He has found that his approach to this problem was wrong, and does not want to proceed further along these lines. Thank you very much to @TSny for your help on this.

1. How do I find the surface and volume bound charges of a half cone?

The surface and volume bound charges of a half cone can be found by using the formula Q = ρV, where Q is the total charge, ρ is the charge density, and V is the volume of the half cone. The charge density can be determined by dividing the total charge by the volume of the half cone.

2. What is the difference between surface and volume bound charges?

Surface bound charges refer to the charges that are located on the surface of an object, while volume bound charges refer to the charges that are located within the volume of an object. In the case of a half cone, surface bound charges would be located on the curved surface, while volume bound charges would be located within the cone.

3. How can I determine the charge density of a half cone?

The charge density of a half cone can be determined by dividing the total charge by the volume of the cone. This can be done by using the formula ρ = Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume of the half cone.

4. What factors affect the surface and volume bound charges of a half cone?

The surface and volume bound charges of a half cone are affected by the charge density, the shape and size of the cone, and the material it is made of. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charges can also impact the distribution of bound charges on the surface and within the volume of the half cone.

5. Can the surface and volume bound charges of a half cone be negative?

Yes, the surface and volume bound charges of a half cone can be negative if the charge density is negative. This would result in a net negative charge on the surface and within the volume of the half cone.