1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Self Funding My Ph.D To Do Risky Dissertations

1. Oct 29, 2017 #21

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This jumps out at me. If there's no one at your school who's really working on the problem you want to work on, the big question is really whether anyone will be willing to supervise you on such a project in the first place. The question of funding is rather secondary to this. If a student were to come to me wanting to do a project in an area that I didn't have that much experience with or interest in, I'd be very reluctant to take that student on. Taking on a PhD student is a major commitment.

I would first find out whether you have anyone interested in supervising the project itself. If no one is, you either should look at transferring to a place where there is someone with expertise in that area or taking on a different project.

2. Oct 30, 2017 #22

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let's get this out of the way. You may want to do anything you want. HOWEVER, a PhD research and desertion REQUIRES a faculty member to be be your academic advisor and supervise your work. This means that unless there is a faculty member who will agree to supervise your research work, then it doesn't matter who is funding you, you will not get a PhD from that school.

Many students get external funding other than from either the school, or the supervisor. Brilliant students get NSF fundings, and many international students are funded through their home institutions or countries. Having an external funding is NOT uncommon. So this has nothing to do with being able to work on a topic. In fact, many supervisors who have research funding would LOVE to have students working for them that they do not have to support. It just mean that he/she will have money to support and get more students to work on more stuff! The students who have external funding are practically working for free to these supervisors. Who does not want that?

Zz.

3. Oct 30, 2017 #23

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, you are going to have to defend your dissertation. One aspect of of the role of a supervisor is determining when a student has something worth writing up and defending.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted