Self-Heating Drinks: What's the Chemical Reaction?

In summary, the soups use a chemical to heat up quickly, while the handwarmers use a different chemical to release heat slowly. There is no difference between the warming chemicals in the soups vs. handwarmers.
noagname
I went to walmart and found these self heating drinks/soups. All you have to do is twist a knob and wait a couple minutes and its ready. After looking online i wasn't able to get a straight answer. Is there a difference between the warming chemicals in the soups vs. hand warmers.

I'm looking for information on what they use in those drinks, as well as other chemical reactions to release heat to heat something small like a drink. Are there more potent combinations that are still safe for people to use in things like the self heating drinks?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The handwarmers use powdered iron which oxidises when exposed to air giving off heat - it is intended to be fairly slow and low power, to give a small amount of heat for hours.
The cup heaters use anhydrous calcium chloride and water to give a lot of heat fairly quickly.

see http://www.stress.com/consumertier3.php?pid=307

Last edited by a moderator:
so what makes some stronger than others

The mass of reactants present controls the total amount of heat.
You could control the speed of heating be either allowing the water in gradually, possible with some pourous membrane or by the particle size of the salt.
The final temperature is a mixture of how much drink you are trying to heat, the amount of insulation and the shape of the package

This is kind of a side question but is there a program or something that would tell if you mix this and that you come out with something.

mgb_phys said:
The handwarmers use powdered iron which oxidises when exposed to air giving off heat - it is intended to be fairly slow and low power, to give a small amount of heat for hours.
The cup heaters use anhydrous calcium chloride and water to give a lot of heat fairly quickly.

see http://www.stress.com/consumertier3.php?pid=307
In that link there is no mention of iron powder for handwarmers. Where did you take that interesting information? I only knew the method which exploits the exothermic crystallisation of supercooled molten materials (usually sodium acetate).

Last edited by a moderator:
noagname said:
This is kind of a side question but is there a program or something that would tell if you mix this and that you come out with something.

A decent chemistry section at your local library, if they have one.

noagname said:
I agree with clouded.perception: what you ask is as simple as...the entire chemistry :smile:

is there anyway i could buy those chemicals separately

1. What exactly is a self-heating drink?

A self-heating drink is a type of beverage that is designed to heat itself up without the use of any external heating source. This is achieved through a chemical reaction that occurs within the drink itself.

2. What is the chemical reaction that causes a self-heating drink to heat up?

The most common chemical reaction used in self-heating drinks is an exothermic reaction between calcium oxide and water. This reaction produces heat and steam, which warms up the drink from the inside.

3. Are self-heating drinks safe to consume?

Yes, self-heating drinks are generally considered safe to consume. The chemical reactions used in these drinks are carefully controlled to ensure that they do not produce any harmful byproducts. However, it is still important to follow the instructions on the packaging and use caution when handling the drink.

4. How long does it take for a self-heating drink to heat up?

The heating time can vary depending on the type of self-heating drink and the ambient temperature. Generally, it takes anywhere from 2-5 minutes for a self-heating drink to reach its desired temperature.

5. Can the self-heating mechanism be reused?

No, the self-heating mechanism in these drinks is designed for one-time use only. Once the chemical reaction has occurred, the heating element is no longer functional and the drink cannot be reheated.