1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Hypnotism

1. Jun 2, 2006 #1
    I came across this link and wonder if their is any factual basis:

http://mindbluff.com/hypnotic.htm

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

One of the keys to hypnosis, self- or otherwise, is relaxation. That thing just irritated the hell out of me.
    Many argue that there isn't actually any 'state' of being hypnotized; it all comes down to your mind wanting to do what it's told. Whatever it is, though, it works. Although I have a pretty high pain threshold, I occassionally have had to resort to it (I prefer it to pills). The most persuasive example that I have is one time when I had to play baseball with a broken finger. The only two times that I ever struck out in my life (on a swing) were my first two attempts that day with a splint on. Then I said to hell with it and took the thing off. I spent about ten minutes sitting quietly, telling my brain that from now on any pain signal that it received would be interpreted as heat. Got a double next time up, and it just felt as if I'd dipped my hand in hot water. There was no looking back after that. In the tournament the next weekend, I had to reinforce the suggestion between games, but that's all. The only thing that it doesn't work on for me is headache, because then I can't concentrate enough to perform it.

4. Jun 2, 2006 #3
    As well as me. I wonder if the technique used is "sensory overload", whereby further stimulus side-steps the cognitive "rational-filtering" process characteristic of hypnosis.
    Not sure, though, if that applys to overload on only one sense (sight, in this case)

5. Jun 2, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Anything's possible, I guess, but I suspect that it's just a crock. Watching something like clouds or a nice fire would be far more effective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?