1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-inductance of an inductor - theoretical vs measurment

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I did an experiment where one of the 'questions' was to determine the self-inductance of an inductor. I am going to leave out the experimental method, but if you need to know just say so and I'll try to explain.

The value I got was [tex]L = (3.910 \pm 0.009) \text{ mH}[/tex].

I am fairly confident that this is correct, because 4 people who did the experiment before me got the same value, and my teachers also confirmed that was the result we are looking for.

Now, I need to compare this value to the value obtained from the theoretical formulas.

I used the following:
    [tex]L = \frac{N \Phi}{i}[/tex]
    [tex]\Phi = BA[/tex]
    [tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 N i }{\ell}[/tex]

So
    [tex]L = \frac{\mu_0 N^2 A}{\ell}[/tex]
    (N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area, [tex]\ell[/tex] is the length of the inductor and i is the current.

Plugging in the values for A, l, N etc, I get a value of L = 1.79 mH.

I am about a factor 2 off..? How did this happen?

I was wondering if this could be because of the many assumptions (that may not be true here) and approximations for example for the magnetic field of an inductor (which assumes a very long inductor if i remember correctly...)?

Could that really cause such a large error? I doubt it... But if they are correct that would mean 4 people + my teacher measured the inductance wrongly?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted