Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Powered Dynamic Systems

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1
    I'm fascinated by the prospect of them, but I can't seem to find much information/progress online aside from like small sensors which aren't quite the same thing.

Has there been anything developed that is a self powered vibration generator? As in, it vibrates and then is powered by its own vibrations? Can these be made on a tiny scale? Large scale?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Comes too close to perpetual motion for me .

There are devices which come close though . For instance the common pendulum . Once initially activated only minute input of energy is needed to sustain . Problem is that a minute abstraction of energy will stop it as well .

There are of course many devices which can pick up stray power and then use it for some useful purpose - the self winding watch is most common example .

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3
    vibratin generating vibration >> perpetual motion >> cannot happen

However, there is the possiblity of machines can harvest energy from their environment - animals and plants obviously do this;

However, the power generated by living things is very small compared to what machines powered by fossil fuels (combustion engines) or electricity (motors) can generate

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No, because that would be a free energy/perpetual motion machine, which violates the known laws of physics. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook