Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-propagating wave question

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    I'm currently reading about EM waves in my physics course, but there is something that is not clear to me.

I know, from Maxwell's equations, that a changing electric field produces a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field likewise produces an electric field. However, it seemed from my reading that the strengths of these fields were constant.

Now, my book is talking about the self-propagation of EM waves, and from the sound of it; it would seem as if a changing electric field produces a changing magnetic field, which in turn produces a changing electric field, and so on; propagating forever.

So, there are two things I can think of: either I am misunderstanding Maxwell's equations; or there is some other factor I am missing here in understanding what is going on. Does a changing E-field produce a changing B-field or one with a constant strength?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

The former, of course. There is an excellent discussion in Feynman's Lectures on Physics which should be perfect for you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?