Is Self Reference Tied to Symmetry in Physics?

In summary: In this case, the dipoles line up to make the magnetic field, and the magnetic field bears down to line up the dipoles.
stevefaulkner
Is there self reference in Nature?

Foundations of The Quantum Logic

Physics news on Phys.org
are you referring to how particles, in the quantum mechanics realm, will always face the in the direction that you look at them? like the spin and such? because that only happens at those extremely small levels, and even those properties are unexplained even at the quantum level

Self reference is a phrase used in logic. If I write a statement like: "The Universe includes the Physical Laws" and then write another: "The Physical Laws control the Universe", The two statements together imply that the Physical Laws control the Physical Laws. Which is self referent.

stevefaulkner said:
Self reference is a phrase used in logic. If I write a statement like: "The Universe includes the Physical Laws" and then write another: "The Physical Laws control the Universe", The two statements together imply that the Physical Laws control the Physical Laws. Which is self referent.
You can make arguments like this about anything:

A robot is controlled by a computer & The computer is part of the robot. -> The computer controls the computer.

Physical laws are not controlling anything but only describing a part of the universe. The physical laws themselves are not included in that part.

ha ha, i was way off. And yes that makes sense but i don't think that physical laws control the universe. Its not like they have a mind of their own and can change when they want. They simply describe the actions of the universe.

A.T. said:
The physical laws themselves are not included in that part.

If the Physical Laws are not part of the Universe, where are they? If science is concerned with understanding the Physical Laws; is it not inconsistent, to accept without understanding, Agencies causing the Physical Laws?

A.T. said:
The computer controls the computer.

Yes you can make arguments like this about many things. Your own statement about computers is a good example of self reference. Do you know of a computer/robot, that is genuinely turned off, with no power to it, that can switch itself on?

My question is whether a universe needs an outside agency to initiate it or can it do this by some self referent means. Although the question I am asking seems like some clever logical trick, that does not mean it should be disregarded. It is a proposition that can be addressed or alternatively ignored, but it cannot be dismissed on the grounds of not having a simple answer.

stevefaulkner said:
If the Physical Laws are not part of the Universe, ...
I didn't say that. I said physical laws are not included in the part of the universe, which is described by physical laws.

stevefaulkner said:
If science is concerned with understanding the Physical Laws; is it not inconsistent, to accept without understanding, Agencies causing the Physical Laws?
Physical laws are human made quantitative descriptions of the observed nature. As long as no "agencies causing them" are observed in a quantitative manner, these "agencies" are not part of physics.

stevefaulkner said:
Although the question I am asking seems like some clever logical trick, that does not mean it should be disregarded.
I think your 'logical trick' is called "naive set theory" and was shown self-contradictory long ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_paradox

Last edited:
A.T. said:
I think your 'logical trick' is called "naive set theory" and was shown self-contradictory long ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_paradox

Russel's Paradox is not something to be brushed off lightly. It is related to The Liar Paradox: "This sentence is a lie." Kurt Gödel altered this slightly to "Is this sentence provable?" And from that question he proved his famous Incompleteness Theorems using self reference. Since that time Karl Svozil showed that physics is incomplete in this sense. [Svozil, K. (2005) undecidability everywhere? Institut fur Theoreische Physik, University of Technology, Vienna.]
He uses Turing's proof. My question, by extension is: is there self Reference in Nature? I suspect there is and I suggest we look for it.

stevefaulkner said:
Russel's Paradox is not something to be brushed off lightly.
I'm not brushing it off. It shows that playing logical games with self referencing sets leads to contradiction. So why bother with it?
stevefaulkner said:
Since that time Karl Svozil showed that physics is incomplete in this sense.
Fortunately physics can live quite well with incompleteness. It is a problem of math, logic and philosophy.

On the grounds of scientific open-mindedness should we not look at logic for answers in physics? Quantum Physics has logical problems. Issues have gone without answer for at least 83 years. So too does Chaos.

A recent line of enquiry:

http://steviefaulkner.wordpress.com/

For me the biggest self-reference is the brain trying to analyse/comprehend itself and its perceptions. Philosophically, I see it as a dead-end.

stevefaulkner said:

Ising models seem like a good example of bootstrapping logic. The dipoles line up to make the magnetic field and the magnetic field bears down to line up the dipoles.

And we would then extrapolate this self-organising phase transition logic to the universe. So the local events line up to make the global laws and the global laws bear down to line up the local elements.

Self-reference occurs in paradoxical fashion when it is considered at just a single scale. As with the liar's paradox. But if scale is dichotomised, then paradox disappears.

So it seems paradoxical to talk of the universe and its laws as causing each other. That is just a circular loop with no causal content.

But then we realize that the universe is actually composed of the small and the large, the local events and its global laws. We were making a mistake in thinking of the universe as the global scale. In fact it is a term for all scales. And now we can see that what we really want to talk about are the two extremes of scale that compose the system we call the universe.

Once we ask the question in terms of local events and global laws - which constitutes the universe? well they both do in equilibrium interaction across all scales - then this self-referential logic becomes non-paradoxical.

stevefaulkner said:
On the grounds of scientific open-mindedness should we not look at logic for answers in physics?
No. The answers in physics come from experiments. Physics uses some concepts of math and logic, but not everything. The obsession with completeness for example is useless to physics, and didn't even work out for math itself.

A.T. said:
The obsession with completeness for example is useless to physics, and didn't even work out for math itself.

We are witnessing this again with quantum gravity of course. This is exactly an issue of self-reference where we want to reduce the container to its contents, the continuous to the discrete. So knowing how to deal with completeness remains a live research question.

A.T. said:
No. The answers in physics come from experiments.

How the Universe works does not involve experiments nor our understanding it. It proceeds without us according to whatever symmetry rules are in it, as well as whatever rules of logic govern cause and effect. If physics concerns only experiments and people, then I am not talking about physics; I am talking about Nature.

My original question was:
stevefaulkner said:

I'll try and make the distinction more clearly from now.Foundations of The Quantum Logic

stevefaulkner said:
If the Physical Laws are not part of the Universe, where are they?

in our heads.
there are no physical laws "out there"... they're just descriptive models we devised so that we may easily understand the universe and the physical processes.

as for the main inquiry of the OP- are there self-referential systems? well, if we rephrase that to "are there systems capable of self-referential processes?" then the answer is an obvious yes: human beings and any self-aware animal.

tauon said:
the main inquiry of the OP- are there self-referential systems? well, if we rephrase that to "are there systems capable of self-referential processes?" then the answer is an obvious yes: human beings and any self-aware animal.

I think I can agree to this; I think.

tauon said:
in our heads.
there are no physical laws "out there"... they're just descriptive models we devised so that we may easily understand the universe and the physical processes.

When I say Physical Laws, I am not talking about the things we write down on paper; I am talking about those things in Nature that govern the physical processes. They might be a system of symmetries.

I can see I need to word my questions much more carefully.

stevefaulkner said:

Hmm. I think the clue you are missing here is that undecideability is a result of symmetry. So paradoxes emerge in logical arguments, for example, when the force of the argument seems to go equally in both directions. We get this kind of self-referential circularity that we see in the liar's paradox because there is no scale that makes one part of the argument event, the other context.

Singularities are another example of a symmetry state which are therefore indeterminate. Same with wavefunctions.

So what you should really be focusing on is the process of symmetry and symmetry breaking - the creation of scale.

We "know" that our universe originated from a state of quantum symmetry, a Planckscale singularity. Well, that is the best current model. We also know that there were a cascade of further symmetry breakings in which the forces cracked out. So the task really seems to be to imagine what state could be even more symmetrical than the big bang singularity. Which is where people are exploring E8 and the zoo of higher symmetries.

Anyway, what has caught your attention is undecidability in logic. The reasons this happens is that, at its limits, logic loses its necessary asymmetry - its arrow of causality - and becomes symmetrical. This can be related to lie algebra (the loss of mathematical structure with increasing dimension), to quantum indeterminancy, and to the philosophical notion of vagueness. So it is a symptom rather than a cause.

1. What is self-reference in physics?

Self-reference in physics refers to the concept of a system being able to observe and interact with itself. This can occur in various ways, such as through feedback loops or self-organizing systems.

2. How does self-reference impact our understanding of the universe?

Self-reference challenges traditional notions of objectivity in science, as it suggests that the observer and the observed are intertwined. It also raises questions about the limits of our knowledge and the role of consciousness in shaping reality.

3. Can self-reference be seen in physical phenomena?

Yes, self-reference can be observed in various physical phenomena, such as fractals, chaos theory, and emergent properties in complex systems. These phenomena exhibit self-similarity and self-organization, which are key aspects of self-reference.

4. How is self-reference related to the concept of the "observer effect" in quantum mechanics?

The observer effect in quantum mechanics suggests that the act of observing a system can influence its behavior. This is closely linked to self-reference, as the observer is inherently part of the system being observed, and their observation may impact the system.

5. What are the implications of self-reference for the future of physics?

Self-reference challenges traditional reductionist approaches in physics and opens up new avenues for understanding complex systems. It also raises philosophical and ethical considerations, such as the role of the observer in scientific inquiry and the potential for conscious manipulation of reality. Further research in this area may lead to significant advancements in our understanding of the universe.