Self Storage ?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Re: "Self Storage"?

I forgot to mention that I'm also storing stuff for my daughters and my youngest daughter's ex-boyfriend. He was going to pick up his stuff when they broke up, but I told him there was no hurry, and I know he doesn't have a place for it, I pay for the garage, not what's in it. Bicycles are in the garage too.
I had a roommate for a couple of years. He moved out about 10 years ago. He asked if he could leave about 10 big boxes of "stuff" behind until he got settled down.

You guessed it.

On a somewhat related note, I do not believe I am a hoarder. I looked around my living/dining room this morning, and I've used pretty much everything within the last year. Though with the addition of an air conditioner and 50 foot roll of chain link fence within the last two weeks, I no longer have a free path. I now have a two foot wide path, with hurdles. :blushing: :blushing:

How many Pfers have "stuff" in self-storage facilities?

I don't really want to know what you have stored, but you can share that if you want.

My question is, why? Are you pretty sure that there is a life-changing event coming up, at which time you will take your stuff out? Or are you storing it...indefinitely?

Me, I have none...I strive to be a minimalist (and mostly fail :smile:).
I have stuff in storage that could not fit in the car when I relocated, and there is not a day that goes by that I wish I had something from there. I am planning on going back to get it soon.......>_>

f95toli

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Heck. I can build one for the cost of one months rent.
True, but if you live in a city you might not have much choice; the problem is that land is expensive which means that houses and flats are usually quite small and there is little in the way of storage space (almost no one has a garage where we live, and many houses do not even have proper driveways).
We just consider the rent of the storage unit to be part of our cost of living (fortunately we don't much much rent for our flat, at least not by London standards).

DoggerDan

I built a storage shed when I owned my own home. Living in an apartment like I do now, that's a no-no.

Anyone remember George Carlin and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor

My daughter uses her car as a mobile storage unit. When she decided to drive some friends to Austin 2 months ago, she cleaned out her "car". She found a birthday present MIH has sent me two years earlier, jewelry, money, her High School diploma!!! She turns 24 next month! It was like a time capsule.

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Evo

Mentor

This thread makes me feel much better about myself. I don't have a self storage unit, but my entire house is filled with future project "items". It is one of those wacky; "He's got a two foot pathway throughout his entire house" kind of places.

My brother stopped by a few years ago to give me a ride to the airport, took a look into my house from the front entrance, and said only one thing; "You have to die last."

:redface:
LOL those future project "items" certainly do accumulate. At my age I have already completed a lot of projects, but I saved left over items from past projects because they might come in handy with future projects. :smile:

When I was in the military I would pack up all my things into a self storage whenever I was deployed. It essentially meant an extra thousand dollars each month that I was not spending on rent while I was gone, and buying a house with such a tentative lifestyle was out of the question (what if I had to move permanently and could not sell/rent etc).

My many things are with me now, but if I ever decided that I need to save more money I would pack most of my junk off to storage and find a room for rent or something.

I couldn't imagine "owning" a home, and still using storage facilities though. At that point I think that "you just have more stuff than you need, and/or purchased too small of a home".

OmCheeto

Gold Member

When I was in the military.....
Oh my god. To go back there and then... For the first 3 years in the military, everything I owned fit in a single duffel bag.

250px-Seabag.jpg