1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-Study Chemistry

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    I want to take a chemistry class in the summer (General Chemistry II), but it has been two years since Chem 1A. My school does not allow me to take it again for credit and I will be very behind if I don't take chemistry over the summer (I still have no idea what to major in, but it will be related to chemistry). I am currently reading a chemistry book on my own to review the material, but I cannot do lab work. How do I prepare for that class? Is studying by myself enough to prepare for it? Thanks in advance.

Also, do I really have to know everything from Chem 1A to take Chem 1B? Or do I only need a few topics covered from Chem 1A? (I'm talking about a generic first year general chemistry course since I still don't know where to take it at)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you have taken the prerequisite course, go back through your notes and textbook to review. And, if you find yourself stuck, feel free to use our HW/Coursework forums (in other sciences) to ask for help.
  4. May 3, 2008 #3
    I hear that chemistry classes are different at different schools. Is it a good idea that I take it at the same community college? Or would it be better for me to take it at a four-year university? (It would only count towards me University of California GPA if I take it at a UC) Do grad schools look down upon community college courses?
  5. May 3, 2008 #4
    Courses usually build off the main ideas of their prerequisites, if they use them at all. I wouldn't worry too much, scan through your old book if it makes you feel better
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?