Self-Study General Chemistry II: Prep for Class w/o Lab

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to take a chemistry class in the summer, but their school does not allow them to retake the prerequisite course and they are concerned about being behind. They are currently reviewing the material on their own, but they are unsure if this will be enough preparation. They also inquire about the importance of knowing everything from the previous course and the potential differences between community college and four-year university courses. The expert suggests reviewing notes and using online forums for help and reassures that courses usually build off of previous material. The expert also notes that there may be differences between courses at different schools and addresses concerns about community college courses.
bubbles
I want to take a chemistry class in the summer (General Chemistry II), but it has been two years since Chem 1A. My school does not allow me to take it again for credit and I will be very behind if I don't take chemistry over the summer (I still have no idea what to major in, but it will be related to chemistry). I am currently reading a chemistry book on my own to review the material, but I cannot do lab work. How do I prepare for that class? Is studying by myself enough to prepare for it? Thanks in advance.

Also, do I really have to know everything from Chem 1A to take Chem 1B? Or do I only need a few topics covered from Chem 1A? (I'm talking about a generic first year general chemistry course since I still don't know where to take it at)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have taken the prerequisite course, go back through your notes and textbook to review. And, if you find yourself stuck, feel free to use our HW/Coursework forums (in other sciences) to ask for help.

I hear that chemistry classes are different at different schools. Is it a good idea that I take it at the same community college? Or would it be better for me to take it at a four-year university? (It would only count towards me University of California GPA if I take it at a UC) Do grad schools look down upon community college courses?

Courses usually build off the main ideas of their prerequisites, if they use them at all. I wouldn't worry too much, scan through your old book if it makes you feel better

1. What topics does "Self-Study General Chemistry II" cover?

"Self-Study General Chemistry II" covers a wide range of topics including chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, equilibrium, acids and bases, electrochemistry, and nuclear chemistry. It is designed to prepare students for a general chemistry class without a lab component.

2. Can I use "Self-Study General Chemistry II" as a replacement for a traditional class?

No, "Self-Study General Chemistry II" is meant to supplement a traditional class and should not be used as a replacement. It is designed to help students prepare for the topics they will encounter in a general chemistry class without a lab component.

3. Is "Self-Study General Chemistry II" suitable for all levels of students?

Yes, "Self-Study General Chemistry II" is suitable for students of all levels. It is designed to provide a comprehensive review of the topics covered in general chemistry without a lab component, making it useful for both beginners and advanced students.

4. How should I use "Self-Study General Chemistry II" to prepare for a class without a lab?

"Self-Study General Chemistry II" can be used as a study guide, providing practice problems and explanations for key concepts. It can also be used to review and reinforce material covered in the class. It is recommended to use this resource in conjunction with a textbook and any other materials provided by the instructor.

5. Are there any interactive elements in "Self-Study General Chemistry II"?

No, "Self-Study General Chemistry II" is not an interactive program. It is a self-study guide that provides written explanations and practice problems for review and preparation purposes.