Self-Studying: Feedback Strategies for Students

In summary, the speaker is a self-studier who is currently working through introductory physics material and is having difficulty finding answers to practice problems in higher level textbooks. They have received a warning for asking for help with the problems and are unsure of how to get feedback on their work. They mention possible options such as starting a study group or posting their solutions online, but also acknowledge that this may go against the rules. They are seeking advice on how other self-studiers have approached this issue.
bacon
I'm sure there are many like myself who are self studiers: read the book, do the problems.
Right now I'm working through Halliday, Resnick and Walker, Fundamentals of Physics, and doing all the odd problems because the answers are in the back of the book. I'm also watching the MIT OCW lectures in first year physics and doing their homework which has the answer key published on their website. My problem is with the next phase, upper division work. I bought the book, Introduction to Electrodynamics, by Griffiths, because it seems to have the best reputation. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided for any of the problems. I made the mistake a few days ago of posting a request for answers to the problems and earned myself a warning. I was wrong to do so even though it was done in the spirit described above.
My question is how do I get feedback on the problems that I work? I won't know if they are wrong (unless I can't do them at all).
I could post all the problems I do and have others check my work. Is this permitted? This would be very labor intensive and might not comply with the spirit of homework help, since I might not actually need help if I were to do the problems correctly. Also, over time it would constitute a de facto solutions manual and therefore clearly against the rules.
Could a moderator address this issue?, and/or how has any other self studier approached this?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, being able to say if your solution to a problem makes sense or not is a very valuable skill to have. In even more "upper-division" work (Think research), answers are not provided, you're supposed to find them. Similarly, if you're able to develop that skill, then more power to you.

But I do see your point, as you could work through the whole chapter but still miss the mark and get all of the problems wrong. Perhaps if you're enrolled at a university you could start a study group. Or you can, obviously, post your solution on here and plenty of people will comment on it.

You could also try looking around the web, but I doubt you'd find much for that type of book.

Good luck,

-D

1. What is self-studying and why is it important?

Self-studying is the process of learning and acquiring knowledge on your own without the guidance of a teacher or instructor. It is important because it allows individuals to take control of their own learning and develop independent thinking skills.

2. What are some effective feedback strategies for self-studying?

Some effective feedback strategies for self-studying include setting specific goals, regularly reviewing and reflecting on your progress, seeking input from peers or mentors, and using self-assessments to evaluate your understanding of the material.

3. How can self-studying help me improve my academic performance?

Self-studying can help improve academic performance by allowing individuals to tailor their learning to their specific needs and preferences. It also promotes self-discipline and self-motivation, which are important skills for academic success.

4. What are some common challenges students face when self-studying?

Some common challenges students may face when self-studying include lack of motivation, difficulty staying organized, and feeling overwhelmed by the amount of material to learn. It can also be challenging to stay focused and avoid distractions without the structure of a traditional classroom setting.

5. How can I stay accountable while self-studying?

To stay accountable while self-studying, it is important to set realistic goals and deadlines for yourself, track your progress, and regularly seek feedback from others. It can also be helpful to join a study group or find an accountability partner who can provide support and hold you accountable for your learning.