Self-study, good textbook choices? from MIT OCW

Overall, it's important to carefully consider your goals and learning style when choosing a textbook for self-study. In summary, there are many good textbook choices for self-study in probability theory, including DeGroot, Feller, Ross, and Perko. It's also helpful to utilize online resources such as Khan Academy.
rocomath
Self-study, good textbook choices?

I'm getting kind of bored with my courses atm, so I'm looking for additional math course to study.

Textbooks are by DeGroot and Feller, would these textbooks be okay? I don't want to just trust the reviews on Amazon but a lot of them seem to discourage self-studying from DeGroot's text and Feller seems to be much harder.

I do have access to teachers just incase I need some help. Also, do these courses utilize Calculus at all? (currently in Calc. 2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, both DeGroot and Feller provide excellent textbooks for self-study. However, depending on your objectives, there are other good options as well. For example, if you're looking for a comprehensive introduction to probability theory, you may want to consider Sheldon Ross's Introduction to Probability and Statistics. If you're interested in more advanced topics such as stochastic processes, then try Lawrence Perko's Introduction to Stochastic Processes. Both of these books can be used without any prior knowledge of calculus. In addition, there are some online resources which could be useful for self-study. One such resource is Khan Academy, which offers tutorials and practice problems in probability theory and related topics.

Self-study can be a great way to supplement your education and deepen your understanding of a subject. When it comes to choosing textbooks, it's important to consider your own learning style and the level of difficulty you are comfortable with. It's also helpful to get recommendations from others who have used the textbook for self-study.

In regards to the textbooks you mentioned, DeGroot and Feller are both highly respected in the field of mathematics. However, as you mentioned, DeGroot's text may not be the best choice for self-study as it may be more geared towards a classroom setting. Feller's text, on the other hand, is known for being more rigorous and may require a strong foundation in calculus. It's important to assess your own strengths and weaknesses before diving into a challenging textbook like Feller's.

Additionally, it's great that you have access to teachers for support. They can provide guidance and clarification when needed, and can also recommend additional resources to supplement your self-study.

As for the use of calculus in these courses, it really depends on the specific topics covered. It's always a good idea to have a strong understanding of calculus, but it may not be required for every topic. It's best to check the course syllabus or speak with your teachers for more information.

In summary, self-study can be a great way to enhance your learning, but it's important to carefully consider your textbook choices and have access to support when needed. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is self-study and why is it important?

Self-study refers to the process of learning independently without the guidance of a teacher or formal classroom setting. It is important because it allows individuals to take control of their own learning and develop self-discipline and critical thinking skills.

2. How can I choose a good textbook for self-study?

When choosing a textbook for self-study, it is important to consider the author's credentials, the relevance of the content to your learning goals, and the level of difficulty. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from others who have used the textbook.

3. What are some tips for effective self-study?

Some tips for effective self-study include setting specific goals, creating a schedule, breaking down the material into manageable chunks, seeking help when needed, and regularly reviewing and practicing the material.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying on my own?

Staying motivated during self-study can be challenging, but setting achievable goals, rewarding yourself for progress, finding a study partner or group, and taking breaks when needed can help keep you motivated. It is also important to remember the long-term benefits of self-study and the satisfaction of mastering a subject on your own.

5. Can self-study replace traditional classroom learning?

Self-study can be a valuable supplement to traditional classroom learning, but it cannot fully replace it. While self-study allows for independent learning and flexibility, classroom learning provides opportunities for interaction with teachers and peers, which can enhance understanding and critical thinking skills. It is important to find a balance between self-study and traditional learning methods for optimal educational outcomes.