1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-study graduate QM

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    Hello science buddies,

This is my first post in this forum. Ok let me get to the point directly, currently I self-study graduate level quantum theory and the main book I'm using is Sakurai's. But I think for self studying it's better to also have a look at lecture notes, first because it's much shorter and second lecture notes can serve as an outline that contains topics taught in most university. From lecture notes, I can decide which points I should put more stress on over the others. So can somebody please direct me the links of lecture notes with the main reference on Sakurai's book? I have found one on MIT's opencourseware by Prof. Taylor but his lecture notes are handwritten, if possible I want a typed one.
    Actually I have been feeling I can already get along with this book so I prefer not to switch to another book.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2015 #2
    I don't know what the lecture using Sakurai's book is, but I can definitely recommend you check out the Feynman Lectures on Physics if you want a bit of a different perspective.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

4. Mar 27, 2015 #3
    Shankar's book is much much better for self-study, IMO. McIntyre is a good companion to Sakurai though.

5. Mar 28, 2015 #4
    Can you please write the complete title of this book from McIntyre?

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5
    Feynman's lectures are below graduate level.

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6
    Yeah, but they're still good for review and filling in knowledge gaps or anything

8. Mar 31, 2015 #7
    Quantum Mechanics by McIntyre

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook