Self-Study Group: Join Now Before Semester Ends!

In summary, this group is for people who are interested in mathematics and physics. They will be studying PDE's, Fourier series, and other advanced mathematics. They also suggest studying chemistry if they are interested.
Jacobpm64
Well, I was following a thread about a self-study group, but the op of the thread hardly ever gets online, so I'm wondering if anyone still wants to do this, as my semester is almost over, and I'd have time over the summer to try to study something.

EDIT: I am referring to the post by studious.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember that thread...

what subjects/level of work are you referring to? I would enjoy an advanced math directed towards engineers and physicist group anytime after finals. That means sans the proofs etc. =]
Just in case anyone is interested topics for that are
PDE's
Fourier series
Navier-stokes equations etc...

i'm a math major/physics minor... That could be interesting for me.

I've had a really basic course in PDE's that just covered like.. finding product solutions of the heat and wave equation.. tackling different boundary conditions and stuff.. also did a little with laplace's equation... and i did a good bit with Fourier series in that course.

However, I'm interesting in whatever.. either pure or applied math.. and getting a heads up on some physics courses... However, I'm more interested in mathematics :)

Ok, this is good I'll pm you my info. My interests also lay in learning fluids. Basically I want enough foundation to tackle these extremely hard courses coming up. Although advanced math is not "extremely hard", everything I've heard about the professor is that she makes it hell.

Btw, how would you like to time this? My finals end next week. Also how large would you like this group to be? Would you like to wait for others before we begin...etc. just let me know what's good for you I'm up for anything =]

I'm down for this. Fluid/continuum mechanics sounds cool, though my interests are pretty broad so anything really is ok with me.

well, i don't know if i wanted to organize it :P

I was hoping the guy "studious" who opped the original post was going to come around more often and be able to take initiative.

However, I mean, we could all just work together.

I'm cool with anything after May 8th. (that's my last day of finals)..

Then i'll have the entire summer to do whatever.

Jacobpm64 said:
well, i don't know if i wanted to organize it :P

I was hoping the guy "studious" who opped the original post was going to come around more often and be able to take initiative.

Ok well if that's the case I guess I can take a stab at organization. I'll do a bit of research to see how we can make this successful. Also I suggest not making the group too large. I have found that large groups can become counterproductive. So let's just work in 'cells' of 5 and just cross reference with other groups (if there is more than one)

i agree with not making the group too large.

Yeah, so, perhaps once you do a little research on how to work this thing out.. we can start talking to people from the other thread and trying to grab more people.

What's your background?

my interest, for the moment, would be quantum mechanics (also interested in classical mechanics , relativity, particle physics). :biggrin:

@Jacobpm I'm a Sophomore turning Junior Aerospace Engineering student, concentration propulsion =] at Embry-Riddle

what about yourself?

Last edited:
senior math major/physics minor.

Ok good tagging along with you for advanced math should be good then. Just need to keep this thread afloat til we get enough people.

I'd like to express my interest in a study group and I'm willing to help organize. I'm not quite at the level as both of you. I've taken a full first course in calculus through multivariable/vector analysis. I would be interested in the following subjects: linear algebra, classical mechanics, electrodynamics, elementary real analysis.

Tangentially, if anybody wants to self-study any chemistry topics I'm a senior chemistry major getting ready for the chemistry GREs, so I would be willing to do that as well.

well I'm going to be studying real analysis myself regardless if someone else wants to or not.. I've already bought a book for the summer.. so .. if you want to tlak about it during the summer we can, but i suggest we keep the real analysis out of the main group.. because it seems to be more oriented towards pde's and heavily applied math things.

Well if there's enough interest I would go ahead and make a separate thread.

Ok Jacob and durt both of you seem interested enough. I have found an excellent e-book for advanced math for engineers called "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Kreyszig. This book contains many examples and goes through each example thoroughly. I am suggesting that we keep things coherent, thus I am proposing for only those who tag along, each will receive the book from me. Message me and I will send you a copy for evaluation.

If you have any other suggestions for books or alternative methods of working problems or studying, or even object to getting the book just post your ideas and we can work things out =]

Simply send me a PM for a copy.

Also durt what is your background?

PS. I'm still working on an online system that will work for our study group. =]

PPS. To whomever requests this book, please don't request and run. I'd prefer to keep it to those who are actually interested in this group. =D

EDIT: I also forgot to note that the book is application oriented, meaning the problem sets contain many application problems

Last edited:
I am a second year undergrad in australia studying maths and physics. Currently working on real analysis, point-set topology and commutative algebra. Oh and some quantum physics.

I don't have much experience with applied maths (yes, I'm one of those pure snobs). But I would certainly be interested in something on mathematics of fluids if you're doing that. I am rather busy at the moment though and the timing of my semesters will be quite unsynchronised with yours. I think I might have access to Kreyzig but... might I suggest something with more proofs? XD

I hope that it is not too late to join the group right now.
I am a Junior/senior in math and physics. Going to finish Quantum and real analysis this semester, and starting Modern Algebra and Relativity next semester. I am also interested in fluid dynamic.

PhysicalAnomaly said:
I am a second year undergrad in australia studying maths and physics. Currently working on real analysis, point-set topology and commutative algebra. Oh and some quantum physics.

Well, I'm a second year undergrad in Romania. But, as I mentioned above, I'm more interested in theoretical physics than pure mathematics. I replied to your post mostly for that "Oh and some quantum physics." part. If you've got some serious interest in quantum physics or classical mechanics, please PM me.

PhysicalAnomaly said:

I don't have much experience with applied maths (yes, I'm one of those pure snobs). But I would certainly be interested in something on mathematics of fluids if you're doing that. I am rather busy at the moment though and the timing of my semesters will be quite unsynchronised with yours. I think I might have access to Kreyzig but... might I suggest something with more proofs? XD

:( well you see I'm an engineer so proofs and I do not mix :( the reason why I chose kreyszig is because he stays away from heavy proofing. =\

Ok so far, for fluid dynamics we have militiz and durt

For advanced math (applied) we have durt ,Jacob and Anomaly

is this correct let me know what you think. We'll have to work out the proofing bit because quite frankly as I said before I'm anti-proof...if not we can split groups =\

I would prefer fluids to general applied maths but I'm fine with anything useful. It wouldn't be nice to find myself deficient in applied maths some time in the future when I need it.

Well, we could do proofs when the purer people present material and you can just ignore it. And when the anti-proof ones (boo! =P) present, they could omit proofs (and use plausibility arguments instead? XD).

I agree with anomaly.

Because I'm more interested in the "theory" of DE's and things like that :P... because I've already had a course that was heavy in application (the guy who teaches odes and pdes here is strictly an applied mathematician and doesn't do any proofs).. but i'll help out.. I don't mind :).. anomaly and I can try to be more rigorous on the side..

I'm really cool with whatever... the more knowledge I have, the more useful i'll be to myself and others.

(i'll be bored because most of my summer will consist of just reviewing all the math classes I've had to date.. and being sure i know everything from all of them.. because i may decide to take the math subject gre).

Ok this is great, sounds like we'll have an awesome group. DE's with proofing will be fine, as long as I can understand how to do applied problems I'm ok.

Any suggestions as to which book we can use? I can search for some with more proofs or anyone who suggests any would be equally fine.

I had a thought as to how we could make this work, only a suggestion. What we can do is use mathim.com (http://www.mathim.com) because of its excellent use of chatrooms and latex, then have "class" sessions at (a) specific time(s) per week. Each class could be directed by one of us on a specific topic each week or day - that means a rotation of students and 'professors' =]. That way everyone gets a good understanding of the subject. After each session we have a "review" where questions are asked on the previous session's problem set. I have seen many professional online teachers use a similar method (in other areas-not necessarily academia) which has turned out to be very successful - many if not all are paid to have such online sessions.

Edit: I have to mention that this method means that everyone has to prepare their stuff before each session. I imagine this would turn out just like a real class room only you're sitting in front of the computer and you are the "professor for a day".

Let me know what you think.

Allow me to revise the list =]

Fluid dynamics: Djeitnstine, Militiz, Durt, Jacob, Anomaly? Edit: added jacob

Advanced math (applied): Djeitnstine,Durt ,Jacob and Anomaly?

-just to let everyone know I intend to do both of these sessions. so Anomaly which one(s) would you like to do? =]

We still have a few weeks before summer to start so that everyone can have the time to dedicate to this.

Last edited:
Go ahead and throw me in both groups.. I don't know anything about fluid mechanics.. but I've taken introductory calculus-based physics sequence.. and i know a good bit about math.. so i might be able to learn this with everyone's help.

Ok you're added, but what do you think of the set up?

oh i poked around on the mathIM deal, and I really like it.

Yeah I think that's a good job. What happens though, if some section is just difficult and a certain person has extreme trouble preparing the talk about it...

or since some people have different backgrounds than others.. it might be more difficult for others.. or really easy for some.. you know?

I guess we just have to help each other out and try not to be overly stressed or anything.

hmm. Mathim looks fantastic.
Well, actually, if there is also a math session (I assume a proof base applied math?), I would also like to join that group (and yea, I am kinda indecisive on the fluid. It doesn't sound as that attractive to me, Maybe I'll wait and see the syllabus first? And the teaching part make me really nervous, because I have basically no knowledge in Statistical Mechanic, fluid dynamic).

Jacobpm64;2171489 Yeah I think that's a good job. What happens though said:
As for this, I think one of the ways to solve it is to have some syllabus of a sort, and people could see before hand whether they are capable to teach it. If not, he could switch it with someone else, or somethings like that.

And this'll give rise to some questions, for instance, how do we decide the syllabus?

And how about the "textbook?" It seems like there is a e-book already for the math (btw, I also have a pretty decent applied math e-text by my applied math professor), but how about the fluid? I guess it would probably going to be better if it is an e-book (free would be even better :D), or something like that.

And I think there should be a general agreement on the level. I mean even "Advance Undergraduate level" is a bit vague. And this'll associate with the syllabus, too.

For instance, how much proof should be involved in the teaching of applied math? (upper level of applied math is pretty much like the pure math).

btw, my summer comes a bit latter (maybe not that late?). It'll start from late May.

I am looking forward for it.

Thanks militiz I haven't thought about syllabus yet. I should have clarified the "preparing material" part though.

My idea was, everyone gets the same book, preferably with a large problem set, or even supplement it with a book containing a large problem set. We have a set amount of pages/section(s) to read and basically one person presents a summary or a review of the material to the group. If that person does not understand it or had trouble with the material, of course we are a group so we can help each other by answering questions.

Indeed this is self study so not everyone will be able to understand immediately all of the material, but I figured having everyone get a chance to present it to the group would allow persons to bet better at the topic.

As far as a syllabus goes I can collect a few advanced math syllabi for review. But almost needless to say I hoped to cover most of my university's syllabus for preparation of that class.

Here is a summary from the catalog

Advanced Engineering Mathematics I

Line and surface integrals; vector fields with the study of Green, Gauss and Stokes Theorems; Applications of vector field theory; Fourier series.

Edit: Here is for Advanced Engineering Mathematics II, although I will not be taking it, it seems interesting and quite useful

Advanced Engineering Mathematics II (3,0)
The solution of linear differential equations with vari-
able coefficients; study of the derivation, character-
istics, and solutions of partial differential equations;
Fourier series, Fourier transform, Laplace transform,
and Green’s function; applications in science and
engineering.

your Advanced Engineering Math I sounds like our regular Calculus 4.. almost exactly... Although I've only taken calculus 1,2, and 3.. I picked up most of the stuff in Calc 4 along the way in other classes and in physics courses and what not.

But yeah i still haven't messed with divergence and curl and all that jazz.. So It's something i need to learn anyway.

There's a book entitled Div, Grad, Curl, and All That.. lol.. so that might be one to look into... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393969975/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It supposedly develops vector calculus by looking at problems in electrodynamics, I believe.

So it's heavily application-based.

I also see it on some of the syllabi from MIT physics and engineering courses.. and a supplementary textbook (i guess to help with some of the math stuff if people get tripped up)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm this is interesting because I have covered mostly those topics in my previous courses. My professor did a bit of applied stuff with them so I'm no stranger to that subject and its uses.

Heh, it would be great if everyone was on the same page, but I guess that's wishful thinking...

Well, I'll say it is less than wishful thinking though (considering we are not in the same school, or not even in the same country, I hardly believe that we would be on the same page...)
Interesting enough, those are covered in my calc 3 class (and some are in the applied math classes). However, we basically study almost everything again in a more rigorous, proof base class last and this semester (and it is really interesting) :)
For this group, are we basically following and studying the book?
So self-studying in a group?

millitiz said:
For this group, are we basically following and studying the book?
So self-studying in a group?

That is correct.

hmm, now that I know what it is really like, I am afraid that I couldn't make it (ur, it is a bit unnecessary for me, plus I think that I wouldn't have enough time in the summer).
However, I am planning to study Particle Physics over the summer. But I guess I shouldn't make another sub group here, right? ;)
Djeitnstine, thank you anyway. Please cross my name off from the groups, and I guess I'll start another new threat on self-study group for particle physics.
And also, would you mind if I borrow your ideas on group studying? They sounds really great and would be a great guide.

Sure millitiz, I'm actually happy you found the ideas useful.

Re-upping that list:

Fluid dynamics: Djeitnstine, Durt, Jacob, Anomaly?

Advanced math (applied): Djeitnstine,Durt ,Jacob and Anomaly?