1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-study group

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    Well, I was following a thread about a self-study group, but the op of the thread hardly ever gets online, so I'm wondering if anyone still wants to do this, as my semester is almost over, and I'd have time over the summer to try to study something.

EDIT: I am referring to the post by studious.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

I remember that thread...

what subjects/level of work are you referring to? I would enjoy an advanced math directed towards engineers and physicist group anytime after finals. That means sans the proofs etc. =]
    Just in case anyone is interested topics for that are
    PDE's
    Fourier series
    Navier-stokes equations etc...

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3
    i'm a math major/physics minor... That could be interesting for me.

I've had a really basic course in PDE's that just covered like.. finding product solutions of the heat and wave equation.. tackling different boundary conditions and stuff.. also did a little with laplace's equation... and i did a good bit with fourier series in that course.

However, i'm interesting in whatever.. either pure or applied math.. and getting a heads up on some physics courses... However, I'm more interested in mathematics :)

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Ok, this is good I'll pm you my info. My interests also lay in learning fluids. Basically I want enough foundation to tackle these extremely hard courses coming up. Although advanced math is not "extremely hard", everything I've heard about the professor is that she makes it hell.

Btw, how would you like to time this? My finals end next week. Also how large would you like this group to be? Would you like to wait for others before we begin...etc. just let me know what's good for you I'm up for anything =]

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5
    I'm down for this. Fluid/continuum mechanics sounds cool, though my interests are pretty broad so anything really is ok with me.

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6
    well, i don't know if i wanted to organize it :P

I was hoping the guy "studious" who opped the original post was going to come around more often and be able to take initiative.

However, I mean, we could all just work together.

I'm cool with anything after May 8th. (that's my last day of finals)..

Then i'll have the entire summer to do whatever.

8. Apr 21, 2009 #7

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Ok well if that's the case I guess I can take a stab at organization. I'll do a bit of research to see how we can make this successful. Also I suggest not making the group too large. I have found that large groups can become counterproductive. So lets just work in 'cells' of 5 and just cross reference with other groups (if there is more than one)

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8
    i agree with not making the group too large.

Yeah, so, perhaps once you do a little research on how to work this thing out.. we can start talking to people from the other thread and trying to grab more people.

What's your background?

10. Apr 22, 2009 #9
    my interest, for the moment, would be quantum mechanics (also interested in classical mechanics , relativity, particle physics). :biggrin:

11. Apr 22, 2009 #10

djeitnstine

Gold Member

@Jacobpm I'm a Sophomore turning Junior Aerospace Engineering student, concentration propulsion =] at Embry-Riddle

what about yourself?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  12. Apr 22, 2009 #11
    senior math major/physics minor.

13. Apr 22, 2009 #12

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Ok good tagging along with you for advanced math should be good then. Just need to keep this thread afloat til we get enough people.

14. Apr 22, 2009 #13
    I'd like to express my interest in a study group and I'm willing to help organize. I'm not quite at the level as both of you. I've taken a full first course in calculus through multivariable/vector analysis. I would be interested in the following subjects: linear algebra, classical mechanics, electrodynamics, elementary real analysis.

Tangentially, if anybody wants to self-study any chemistry topics I'm a senior chemistry major getting ready for the chemistry GREs, so I would be willing to do that as well.

15. Apr 22, 2009 #14
    well i'm gonna be studying real analysis myself regardless if someone else wants to or not.. I've already bought a book for the summer.. so .. if you want to tlak about it during the summer we can, but i suggest we keep the real analysis out of the main group.. because it seems to be more oriented towards pde's and heavily applied math things.

16. Apr 22, 2009 #15
    Well if there's enough interest I would go ahead and make a separate thread.

17. Apr 23, 2009 #16

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Ok Jacob and durt both of you seem interested enough. I have found an excellent e-book for advanced math for engineers called "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Kreyszig. This book contains many examples and goes through each example thoroughly. I am suggesting that we keep things coherent, thus I am proposing for only those who tag along, each will receive the book from me. Message me and I will send you a copy for evaluation.

If you have any other suggestions for books or alternative methods of working problems or studying, or even object to getting the book just post your ideas and we can work things out =]

Simply send me a PM for a copy.

Also durt what is your background?

PS. I'm still working on an online system that will work for our study group. =]

PPS. To whomever requests this book, please don't request and run. I'd prefer to keep it to those who are actually interested in this group. =D

EDIT: I also forgot to note that the book is application oriented, meaning the problem sets contain many application problems

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  18. Apr 23, 2009 #17
    I am a second year undergrad in australia studying maths and physics. Currently working on real analysis, point-set topology and commutative algebra. Oh and some quantum physics.

I don't have much experience with applied maths (yes, I'm one of those pure snobs). But I would certainly be interested in something on mathematics of fluids if you're doing that. I am rather busy at the moment though and the timing of my semesters will be quite unsynchronised with yours. I think I might have access to Kreyzig but... might I suggest something with more proofs? XD

19. Apr 23, 2009 #18
    I hope that it is not too late to join the group right now.
    I am a Junior/senior in math and physics. Going to finish Quantum and real analysis this semester, and starting Modern Algebra and Relativity next semester. I am also interested in fluid dynamic.

20. Apr 23, 2009 #19
    Well, I'm a second year undergrad in Romania. But, as I mentioned above, I'm more interested in theoretical physics than pure mathematics. I replied to your post mostly for that "Oh and some quantum physics." part. If you've got some serious interest in quantum physics or classical mechanics, please PM me.

21. Apr 23, 2009 #20

djeitnstine

Gold Member

:( well you see I'm an engineer so proofs and I do not mix :( the reason why I chose kreyszig is because he stays away from heavy proofing. =\

Ok so far, for fluid dynamics we have militiz and durt

For advanced math (applied) we have durt ,Jacob and Anomaly

is this correct let me know what you think. We'll have to work out the proofing bit because quite frankly as I said before I'm anti-proof...if not we can split groups =\

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook