Preparing for University: Maths and Python in 5 Months

In summary, you should review basic calculus, trigonometry, and discrete math before planning to pursue a degree in computer science. You should also study at least 1-2 hours outside of class for every hour you spend in class.
ilii
I am applying to University in January 2016 for either maths or computer science. I have taken the Gr. 12 prerequisite courses and did alright in them (calculus 89, physics 96, etc), but I feel I still do not have a solid foundation in maths to really feel comfortable going into a degree program. I have started learning discrete maths on my own, and would like to know if someone could make a list of the maths every student should have a solid foundation in going into a STEM degree program. I am also planning on learning to code with python. I have maybe 5 months to learn the maths + python, so I would appreciate a list with this time frame in mind. thank you ~

Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure that discrete math is the proper thing to be focusing on. Where are you at in calculus?

Discrete math is pretty cool if you are interested in it and/or if you are thinking of studying computer science.

But you should really study functions, trigonometry, limits, derivatives, integrals, Taylor series, vectors, multivariable functions, contours, partial derivatives, directional derivatives, gradients, divergence, curl, differential equations, phasors, Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms, probability, random variables, statistics, and linear algebra (vectors spaces, span, linear independence, basis, orthogonality, eigenvalues / eigenvectors, linear operators, etc.).

You won't cover all of this in 5 months. But at a minimum, you should learn basic calculus.

Ok, I'm thinking more review in calculus and trig. I already went over both subjects in high school, but I think I need to review them again. Would you say that if I have a good understanding of beginner calculus, trig, and discrete maths, and along with some programming experience, then I should be ok for computer science in my first year? and what about first year maths / physics? thanks ~

ilii said:
Ok, I'm thinking more review in calculus and trig. I already went over both subjects in high school, but I think I need to review them again. Would you say that if I have a good understanding of beginner calculus, trig, and discrete maths, and along with some programming experience, then I should be ok for computer science in my first year? and what about first year maths / physics? thanks ~

Yes. If you have mastered the concepts of trigonometry (sine, cosine, tangent, SOHCAHTOA, 45/45/90, 30/60/90, Pythagorean's theorem, triangles within a unit circle), functions, limits, derivatives as an instantaneous rate of change of a function - aka slope of the tangent line, Riemann sums to estimate the area under a curve, integrals as exact areas under curves), then you should be in good shape. Of course, you'll still need to work hard. There is a big difference between high school and college level math, science, and engineering courses. In general, I would recommend studying at least 1-2 hours outside of class for every hour you spend in class. If time permits, depending on the class, you may take 3-5 hours outside of class for every hour you spend in class. When I took Circuits I in college, I spent 3-5 hours studying outside of class for every hour I spent in class.

Ok thanks, this clears things up a lot more :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of "Preparing for University: Maths and Python in 5 Months"?

The purpose of this program is to help students prepare for university-level mathematics and Python programming courses by providing a comprehensive curriculum and hands-on practice with key concepts and skills. It is designed to be completed in 5 months, allowing students to gain a solid foundation before starting their university studies.

2. Is this program suitable for beginners?

Yes, this program is suitable for students with little to no prior experience in mathematics or Python. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it accessible for beginners to follow along and learn at their own pace.

3. Do I need any specific materials or software to participate in this program?

No, all the materials and software needed for this program will be provided. You will have access to online lectures, practice exercises, and coding environments to complete the assignments. However, having a computer with internet access will be necessary to participate in the program.

4. How much time should I dedicate to this program each week?

The program is designed to be completed in 5 months, so it is recommended to spend at least 4-5 hours per week on studying and practicing. However, the amount of time needed may vary depending on individual learning styles and pace.

5. How will this program benefit me in my university studies?

This program will provide you with a strong foundation in key mathematical concepts and Python programming skills, which are essential for many university courses. It will also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in any academic field. By completing this program, you will have a better understanding of the subjects and be better equipped to excel in your university studies.