Self-Studying Physics C: Is It Worth It for College Admissions?

In summary: So, in summary, it depends on what you want. If you just want it for credit, then if you don't want to take it your first year its a good way to get in a harder college course earlier. However, if you want to do well in the class and have a better chance of getting into a better college, then you should probably take the course.
asura
Hi, I'm a junior at my high school taking physics B and I planned to take physics C next year but then I found out its not offered at my school. So now I want to self study it and take the AP test during May of senior year, but would this be worth it, since neither the class nor the score on the AP test will appear on my transcript for college

I've also heard that most schools no longer acknowledge ap scores

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it depends, what do you want?
I would do something like this, just because Physics brings me joy in life, and I like doing it (not that I am good at it ),
but if you just want it for credit, then if you don't want to take it your first year its a good way to get in a harder college course earlier.
So yeah, it depends

asura said:
I've also heard that most schools no longer acknowledge ap scores

This is not at all true asura, I am a senior and have already gotten accepted into a few colleges. Along with this, they have already said which AP courses I would and woudln't get credit for. Although sometimes if you are going into engineering/physics they will recommend that you retake calc or physics courses because a lot of other classes rely on understanding of these, many colleges will still give credit. Now I am not going to a top ten school, like MIT or anything like that, but U delaware, Maryland, Penn State, some other smaller schools, they take a lot of AP's, its just whether or not YOU think its worth it to skip that course.

Basically only if you completely understand it should you take the credit anyway. But even if you don't get the credit, yes i think you should take it. The big difference between B and C is that C is calculus integrated. So, the concepts while a lot of times are harder, are easier to grasp because you already know some physics with B. A big plus would be say you don't get a credit, you go into a college class tha tyou essentially already took. No studying needed, and you should get a really good grade, to start that GPA off high. My one friend even talked to his teacher and he just had to come for tests, never showed up to a single class.

One last thing, a good bit of schools now offer CLEP tests, to test out of entry level courses. If you do good in your physics C self study, test out of intro physics, it woudl be the same deal as taking and acing the AP test.

1. Is self-studying Physics C an impressive addition to my college admissions application?

Self-studying Physics C can definitely be seen as a strong addition to your college admissions application, as it demonstrates your dedication and passion for the subject. It also shows that you are willing to take initiative and challenge yourself, which are qualities that many colleges look for in applicants.

2. Will self-studying Physics C give me an advantage in the college admissions process?

It depends on the individual college and their specific admissions criteria. Some colleges may view self-studying Physics C as a valuable asset, while others may not place as much weight on it. However, regardless of whether it gives you an advantage in the admissions process, self-studying Physics C can still be a valuable learning experience.

3. How will self-studying Physics C compare to taking the course in a traditional classroom setting?

Self-studying Physics C may not have the same level of structure and guidance as a traditional classroom setting. However, with self-studying, you have the freedom to learn at your own pace and focus on the areas that you find most challenging. It also requires a lot of self-discipline and motivation, which are important skills to have in college and beyond.

4. Can self-studying Physics C be just as effective as taking the course in a classroom?

It is possible for self-studying Physics C to be just as effective as taking the course in a classroom, depending on your level of dedication and the resources available to you. It may also be beneficial to seek additional support from online resources or a tutor to ensure that you fully understand the material.

5. Will colleges recognize the effort put into self-studying Physics C?

Colleges often value self-studying as it shows that you are willing to go above and beyond to pursue your academic interests. However, it is important to remember that colleges also consider other components of your application, such as your GPA, extracurricular activities, and essays. Self-studying Physics C can be a valuable addition to your application, but it should not be the sole focus of your academic achievements.