Create a Self-Study Schedule for AP Calculus AB

In summary, the speaker recently took AP Calculus AB in senior year and feels they have a good understanding of the subject matter, but their class did not progress as much as they wanted. They have purchased Spivak's book to self-study over the summer and are seeking advice on how to structure their studying and stay motivated. Another person recommends doing the problems and timing oneself for an hour each day to stay on track and be successful in mastering the material.
Null_
Hi all. I recently took AP Calculus AB as a senior. While I feel that I enjoyed and understood the subject matter greatly, my class got no where near where we were supposed to get. I really want to have a good Calculus base for college next year, especially if I decide to start in Calc II.

I just ordered Spivak's book, since I've heard nothing but raving reviews from people who have used it in a similar fashion to what I am going to use it for.

I've never really self-studied before, so I'm not really sure how to go about it. I want it to be structured, and I want to get as far as possible over the summer. Would two hours a day, every day but one a week be adequate? I don't want to get burned out and just give up altogether.

Any tips for keeping me motivated and on track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak is a really good book, you'll know you're material very well after going thru that book.
As for tips, I got this from another post: "DO THE PROBLEMS. Don't just read, you have to practice and be active. Otherwise you'll just wasting your time."
^^^^ This is definitely true, I tried to self study physics and suffered terribly. All I did was read, and yes I wasted my time. I've decided to do the problems now. You do the problems too! :)
Time yourself as well, set aside an hour each day to study and do not stop. Keep going, remember you'll be rewarded for the hard work you do. Nothing is in vain.

1. How much time should I allocate for studying AP Calculus AB?

The amount of time you should allocate for studying AP Calculus AB depends on your individual learning style and current level of understanding. However, a good rule of thumb is to dedicate at least 1-2 hours of study time per day, with additional time on weekends for review and practice.

2. What topics should I focus on when creating my self-study schedule?

The AP Calculus AB exam covers a wide range of topics, including limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus. It is important to allocate enough time for each topic, but also prioritize areas where you may need more practice or have less understanding.

3. How often should I take practice tests while following a self-study schedule?

Taking practice tests is an important part of preparing for the AP Calculus AB exam. It is recommended to take at least one practice test per week, and increase the frequency as the exam date gets closer. This will help you identify areas where you need more practice and build your test-taking skills.

4. Should I study alone or in a group while following a self-study schedule?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style and what works best for you. Some students may benefit from studying with a group to discuss difficult concepts and work on practice problems together. Others may prefer studying alone in a quiet environment. It is important to find the study method that works best for you.

5. How can I stay motivated while following a self-study schedule for AP Calculus AB?

Staying motivated can be challenging when studying on your own, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Set specific goals for each study session and reward yourself when you achieve them. Break up your study time into smaller chunks with breaks in between to avoid burnout. Also, remember the end goal of passing the AP Calculus AB exam and the opportunities it can bring.