1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Study?

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    I'm a senior in High School, and took BC Calculus as a Junior and this last semester a 1-semester Calc 1&2 honors class, mainly for those those who took AB in High School at the University of Utah. (It's surprising how bad you can do on the AP test and still get a 5). I'm signed up for the next semester of the course which is basically Honors Calculus 3, but after a trip to the Math section of the University Library today, I found there are so many books I would like to try and go through. I thought that instead of taking that class, which can wait, I could have several study periods at school and work on a variety of topics, or just one if it interests me enough. Any advice - Class vs Self Study? I may want to make a career in math or something related, so would there be some topics to work on over others to prepare me for higher math? Specific books?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well if you want a break from the calculus, which you will eventually need to take, you can try learning some Linear Algebra.

4. Dec 18, 2007 #3
    you could learn some number theory on your own. It may not help you too much later on in your studies with the exception of learning to do proofs. It isn't very hard to learn on your own if you have a good book. I can't really recommend a good book, the one I used in class was Elementary Number Theory by Rosen, it wasn't great but not bad.
    I second G01 in studying Linear Algebra, again it shouldn't be too tough on your own, and it gives you a good basis for Abstract Algebra and Differential Equations

5. Dec 19, 2007 #4
    You have a whole life when you can self-study, but only a limited time when you can take university courses from university professors (for the most part). I'd take a university course. It'll also free you up/satisfy prerequisites for other classes once you are a full-time college student.

6. Dec 20, 2007 #5
    self study. most university calc classes are engineering major feeders. not rigorous and filled with lots of people who are doing the math cause they have to not cause they enjoy it or are good at it. self study and get a professor/teacher to check your work.

7. Dec 20, 2007 #6
    Wouldn't it make more sense to take the university course and go more in-depth with the material, asking the professor/gsi for guidance?

8. Dec 20, 2007 #7
    he won't have time to go through the material in greater depth because the professor will be making him jump through hoops with the dumb stuff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?