1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self study

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    Okay so I calmed down from my last post and am ready to actually do something worthwhile.

Would I be able to start self studying material for a future class that doesn't rely on the second half of a mechanics course? Specifically I'd like to start studying some Intro E&M stuff on my own, is there any stuff from mechanics I'll need to make sure I have down cold to do so?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2
    The best way to prepare for E&M is to beef up your vector calculus knowledge.

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    even for an intro course, i'll need Vector calculus?

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's put it this way: Vector Calculus or at least most/all of Intermediate Calculus(if not more) will be very helpful in the Electricity & Magnetism Physics fundamental course for the Physical Science and Engineering majors.

6. Mar 6, 2009 #5
    For Intro E&M you will need to know basic basic vector rules. At my univeristy it was Calc III (not exactly sure if it is the same everywhere).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook