What Are the Best Resources for Self-Studying AP Calculus BC?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is self-studying AP Calculus BC and is looking for recommendations for a good prep book and a tutor. They also ask for a link to worksheets and solutions. The conversation also mentions some potential resources such as a teacher's website, free online textbooks, and commercial prep books like Barron and Shmoop. However, the relevance of some of these resources is questioned due to the age of the thread and the fact that the original poster is now in college.
flyingpig
I am self-studying ap calculus bc. I need someone to recommand me a good prep book. I will also get a tutor.

If possible also give me a link with good worksheets and solutions.

please give me the link of the picture of the prep book you recommand

I hear PR and Barron are pretty bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
I am self-studying ap calculus bc. I need someone to recommand me a good prep book. I will also get a tutor.

If possible also give me a link with good worksheets and solutions.

please give me the link of the picture of the prep book you recommand

I hear PR and Barron are pretty bad.

I took AP Calculus BC last year and had a great teacher. He recorded all of his lectures and posted them on his website http://www.toddfadoir.com" . I encourage you to give it a look. It is well organized and very thurough. We used the book "Calculus, 4th Ed. by James Stewart". It was a fine book and you can also get a worked out answer booklet if you would like.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several free intro calculus texts available online. Here are some links:
http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

Note that these are high-quality texts aimed more at teaching calculus than teaching to the test. For a more test-oriented approach, I would recommend an edition of the Larson/Hostetler/Edwards text (old is fine). You can probably pick one up used for cheap.

I think Barron is the best one out there; it definitely worked for me. I suggest you also look at Shmoop; it provides online AP Exam prep and I used it when I was studying for http://www.shmoop.com/ap-calculus/" . It has tons of practice exercises and tests, explains concepts in a simple, relatable manner and has test-taking tips and tricks too. I got a perfect score without any tutors which is a big deal considering how scary Calculus is for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Did you check the dates of this thread before posting? This thread is about 2 years old. Furthermore, I believe that the OP is in college now, and so, your post wouldn't be particularly helpful to him/her.

eumyang said:
I believe that the OP is in college now

Yep. My first thought when seeing this thread at the top of the forum was, "why in the world is flyingpig self-studying AP calculus when he's already in university?"

His post is not necessarily useless though. It probably is for flyingpig but it's possible that somebody else might find it of use. Not the best reason but still, I've seen threads being "dug from their graves" for far less...

Mépris said:
His post is not necessarily useless though. It probably is for flyingpig but it's possible that somebody else might find it of use.
That's why I said:
eumyang said:
Furthermore, I believe that the OP is in college now, and so, your post wouldn't be particularly helpful to him/her.
him/her = flyingpig :wink:

1. What is AP Calculus BC and why should I self-study it?

AP Calculus BC is a college-level course that covers both differential and integral calculus. It is typically taken in high school and can earn you college credit if you pass the AP exam. Self-studying this course can be beneficial for those who are interested in pursuing a career in math, science, engineering, or economics, as it provides a strong foundation in advanced mathematics.

2. How do I prepare for self-studying AP Calculus BC?

To prepare for self-studying AP Calculus BC, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. You should also familiarize yourself with the AP Calculus BC course content and format, as well as gather study materials such as textbooks, practice tests, and online resources.

3. Is self-studying AP Calculus BC difficult?

Self-studying AP Calculus BC can be challenging as it covers complex mathematical concepts. However, with dedication, proper preparation, and consistent practice, it is possible to succeed. It is important to have a strong work ethic and to seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.

4. How long does it take to self-study AP Calculus BC?

The amount of time it takes to self-study AP Calculus BC varies for each individual. It depends on your prior knowledge and understanding of math, your study habits, and the amount of time you can dedicate to studying. On average, it may take several months to a year to fully prepare for the AP exam.

5. Can I self-study AP Calculus BC without taking the course?

Yes, you can self-study AP Calculus BC without taking the course. However, it is important to note that self-studying a course can be more challenging than taking it in a traditional classroom setting. It requires discipline, motivation, and self-motivation to stay on track and fully understand the material. It is also recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor to ensure you are covering all the necessary topics and practicing effectively.