1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self Studying AP Physics 1

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    Hello, I'm still in highschool and I was wondering if you would say that it's possible to learn the entire course of AP Physics 1 in the length of one summer with dedication not being an issue. Also, could you learn AP Physics C Mechanics and E&M WHILE you take a Calculus BC class (I'm not attempting to do this). I've tried to search for a question where they discuss how long it usually takes to learn AP Physics B or C, but haven't been able to find any. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2
    It is possible, certainly. And yes, you can learn AP Physics C Mechanics while in Calc AB or BC. (Having just finished this year AP Calc AB (highest offered at my school) AND AP Physics C: Mechanics). I would be happy to answer any specifics as well.

4. May 16, 2015 #3
    Why would you want to learn AP Physics B and then learn AP physics C? Hopefully I do not sound arrogant, but B is really easy. It is all applied basic algebra. Kinematics is a breeze and a few youtube tutorials will make you a pro in no time. E&M and thermo are the tough parts and you should really burn through a number of examples yourself. Optics and fluid mechanics are freebies on the exam. Occasionally they'll throw an atomic physics problem at you, but example problems from intro physics college courses are your best guide. The calculus required in physics 2 is no where near the complexity of Calc BC so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I took AP physics B without taking the course or really studying too much and got a 4. I bought a review book, did some practice exams, watched youtube, and was prepared. I didn't get a 5 because I didn't spend enough time on E&M which is usually the game changer for students.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook