1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Self-studying biology

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I want to learn biology from stratch for a hobby, I never studied it in school good enough so I want to do it now, should I go through entire Campbell Biology to grasp basic stuff?
    I wanna note that I want to focus on bioinformatics as I progress
    One more thing to note is that I want to do as many biology experiments(I don't mind even going through books for kids as I can, and I want to actually understand science behind them, not just do the experiments and voilà!

So based on description of my current knowledge (zero), my goals (bioinformatics), wishes(experiments), what textbooks/courses would you recommend to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Two points:
    If you have not done HS Chemistry, consider getting into that first. One of the first things you encounter in Biology is the cell concept and its structure and chemical comoponents - which starts by assuming you know about polymers, fats, chemical bonds and so on.

You may have some sort of idea what a proteins and lipids are, for example. But it probably is not in terms of you furthering your understanding of cell membranes.

Campbell is fine - get a used one from Amazon - 10th Edition.

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    Yeah I'll definitely go for Campbell then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted