Self-studying biology

Hello,

I want to learn biology from stratch for a hobby, I never studied it in school good enough so I want to do it now, should I go through entire Campbell Biology to grasp basic stuff?
I wanna note that I want to focus on bioinformatics as I progress
One more thing to note is that I want to do as many biology experiments(I don't mind even going through books for kids as I can, and I want to actually understand science behind them, not just do the experiments and voilà!

So based on description of my current knowledge (zero), my goals (bioinformatics), wishes(experiments), what textbooks/courses would you recommend to me?

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Two points:
If you have not done HS Chemistry, consider getting into that first. One of the first things you encounter in Biology is the cell concept and its structure and chemical comoponents - which starts by assuming you know about polymers, fats, chemical bonds and so on.

You may have some sort of idea what a proteins and lipids are, for example. But it probably is not in terms of you furthering your understanding of cell membranes.

Campbell is fine - get a used one from Amazon - 10th Edition.

Two points:
If you have not done HS Chemistry, consider getting into that first. One of the first things you encounter in Biology is the cell concept and its structure and chemical comoponents - which starts by assuming you know about polymers, fats, chemical bonds and so on.

You may have some sort of idea what a proteins and lipids are, for example. But it probably is not in terms of you furthering your understanding of cell membranes.

Campbell is fine - get a used one from Amazon - 10th Edition.
Yeah I'll definitely go for Campbell then.

Hello) I am studying for my Bachelor of Biological in University of Houston Downtown. Here is very good courses to everyone.

[moderator note: promotional info removed.]

Last edited by a moderator: