Self studying math and physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of self-studying mathematics and physics and achieving a firm understanding in these subjects. The person asking the questions is directed to a forum discussion where they can find helpful insights and determine their own path based on their goals and abilities. The level of understanding achieved through self-study is dependent on various factors and cannot be answered generally. The conversation also touches on the different levels of firm understanding, ranging from high school to advanced degrees.
quantknight
Has anyone been successful self studying mathematics and physics? By successful I mean to achieve your goals to study and have firm understanding in the subjects. How did you do it? How long did it take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes quantknight
quantknight said:
have firm understanding in the subjects
What level of firm understanding? High school, bachelor's degree, master's degree, Ph.D.?

jtbell said:
What level of firm understanding? High school, bachelor's degree, master's degree, Ph.D.?
High school?!

1. What are the benefits of self studying math and physics?

Self studying math and physics allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on specific topics that interest them. It also promotes independent thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in scientific fields.

2. How can I stay motivated while self studying math and physics?

Setting achievable goals and breaking down the material into smaller chunks can help with motivation. It's also important to take breaks and engage in other activities to avoid burnout.

3. Are there any online resources that can aid in self studying math and physics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations that can supplement self studying. Some examples include Khan Academy, Coursera, and Brilliant.

4. How do I know if I'm understanding the material correctly while self studying?

One way to ensure understanding is to regularly test yourself through practice problems and quizzes. It may also be helpful to discuss difficult concepts with peers or seek help from online forums or tutoring services.

5. Can self studying math and physics prepare me for a career in science?

Yes, self studying can provide a strong foundation in math and physics that is necessary for many scientific careers. It also shows dedication and self-motivation, which are valuable traits in the field of science.