Study Physics: Self-Studying Tips for B.S. in ME & PhD in Nanotech

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to study advanced physics and has decided to read all the books recommended in the academic program for a physics major. They are currently reading a Calculus book to review lower division material and are considering starting with Landau's Mechanics. They have also been recommended to read Boas and are wondering if they should start with that before moving on to Landau. The expert advises starting with Boas Chapter 9 and taking it slowly, as Landau is a deep but rewarding read. The individual also mentions difficulty understanding concepts in Analytical Mechanics and Introduction to Electrodynamics and questions if they can understand advanced material with one hour of reading per day. The expert suggests being realistic about the time and effort required
Fernando Rios
I have a B.S. in Mechanical Enginerring and I am almost done with a PhD in Nanotechnology. Through these years I realized I really like physics and I would like to learn mmore advanced physics than the one I know so far. I would like to know how to study physics. My plan is to follow the academic program for a physics major and read all the books they read. I just started by reading the lower division courses books. Does anybody has any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
First start with Landau - Mechanics. See how you feel - the reviews say it all:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750628960/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If it still appeals, and it converted me from math to physics, then get back for further suggestions depending on the direction you are interested in. For example you may want to know why Classical Mechanics as formulated in advanced books like Landau. The answer is QM - but you need to discover that yourself - we can guide you but only you can do it.

Thanks
Bill

Bill,

I started reading a Calculus book to review the lower division material. Should I continue with the lower division stuff, or should I move on to Mechanics by Landau?

To understand Landau you need Calculus 3 in the US system. I do not know if that is what you mean by'Lower Division'. I would not normally recommend this but since you have, or soon will have, a PhD in a science area it should not really be a problem.

If you are serious about Physics you need to know the background math. The best book I know for that is Boas:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You need Chapter 9 on the calculus of variations for Landau. So get that and study both books together. If you decide physics is for you Boas is a very valuable reference and a good book to study before delving further into more advanced physics.

The beauty of Boas is you do not need much calculus to understand it. If you feel the need for a refresher the following, actually written by physicists (one a Nobel winner) is good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can do it in a weekend.

Later you probably will want to delve into the proofs and aspects of pure math associated with this stuff. Its not essential, and best left until you are well on your way in your journey of more advanced physics, but I have found the following, in this order good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691125333/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://matrixeditions.com/5thUnifiedApproach.html
But do not worry about that for now - Boas is all you need to start. It's just a suggestion for later because I love analysis :DD:DD:DD:DD:DD:DD:DD:DD:DD

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response and sorry for too many questions. Should I read Boas book in the order it is given by the author or should I follow a different order, like start in Chapter 9?

Fernando Rios said:
Bill,

I started reading a Calculus book to review the lower division material. Should I continue with the lower division stuff, or should I move on to Mechanics by Landau?

Shouldn’t you already calculus and a lot of other mathematics if you are about to graduate in mechanical engineering?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Shouldn’t you already calculus and a lot of other mathematics if you are about to graduate in mechanical engineering?

Zz.
Yes, you are right, but I wanted to know if it was necessary to review the material, since I haven't seen it for a while.

Fernando Rios said:
Yes, you are right, but I wanted to know if it was necessary to review the material, since I haven't seen it for a while.
OBVIOUSLY you must review the material. Nobody is likely to keep all the skills and concepts in high quality condition. One must review as often as necessary to keep in shape.

Fernando Rios said:
Thanks for your response and sorry for too many questions. Should I read Boas book in the order it is given by the author or should I follow a different order, like start in Chapter 9?

In your case given your background, start with Boaz Chapter 9. If its too much at this stage start reading Boas from the beginning, but since you already have a degree in ME you should probably be alright. Then read Landau. Beware of Landau though - it's not actually hard - its one of those books that you keep rereading and get more with each read - its deep - just like the reviews said.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill. I just feel kind of weak in math, so I started reading Boas from the beginning and I am almost done with the first chapter. Do you think it is okey if I start reading Landau once I am done with Boas?

Thanks
Fernando

Likes bhobba
100% for sure. Landau Mechanics is just do beautiful (but terse) it will change your view of physics. But take it oslowly, its not a race.

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill. I forgot to tell you that someone suggested me to start reading Analytical Mechanics (written by Fowles). I read it, but I didn't understand the last two chapters (Lagrangian Mechanics and Dynamics of Oscillating Systems), I guess the problem was calculus of variations. Then I tried to read Introduction to Electrodynamics (written by Griffiths), but I didn't understand it. Based on this and the fact that I only spend at most one hour everyday for reagins these books, do you think I can understand advanced material? Or not? If I can, should I still consider reading Boas and then Landau?

Fernando Rios said:
My plan is to follow the academic program for a physics major and read all the books they read.
Fernando Rios said:
but I didn't understand the last two chapters
Fernando Rios said:
ased on this and the fact that I only spend at most one hour everyday

I don't think you are being realistic. A BS in physics is 4 years at 40 weeks per year and 50 hours per week. That's 8000 hours. Maybe you need less because of what you've already learned, and maybe you need more because you are doing this on your own, but let's go with 8000 hours. Let's say "at most one hour everyday" means 5 hours a week.

So it's 31 years to finish.

Likes berkeman and Bystander
bhobba said:
100% for sure. Landau Mechanics is just do beautiful (but terse) it will change your view of physics. But take it oslowly, its not a race.

Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill. I forgot to tell you that someone suggested me to start reading Analytical Mechanics (written by Fowles). I read it, but I didn't understand the last two chapters (Lagrangian Mechanics and Dynamics of Oscillating Systems), I guess the problem was calculus of variations. Then I tried to read Introduction to Electrodynamics (written by Griffiths), but I didn't understand it. Based on this and the fact that I only spend at most one hour everyday for reading these books, do you think I can understand advanced material? Or not? If I can, should I still consider reading Boas and then Landau?

Thanks
Fernando

Fernando Rios said:
Hi Bill. I forgot to tell you that someone suggested me to start reading Analytical Mechanics (written by Fowles). I read it, but I didn't understand the last two chapters (Lagrangian Mechanics and Dynamics of Oscillating Systems), I guess the problem was calculus of variations. Then I tried to read Introduction to Electrodynamics (written by Griffiths), but I didn't understand it. Based on this and the fact that I only spend at most one hour everyday for reading these books, do you think I can understand advanced material? Or not? If I can, should I still consider reading Boas and then Landau?

Thanks
Fernando

You don't read a Physics textbook, you study from it. It sounds like you are trying to read this stuff like you would a detective novel.

Griffiths Electrodynamics must take about 500 hours, at least. But that assumes periods of intensive study and a certain amount of the mathematical prerequisites.

At one hour a day, you cannot progress to advanced material. Students at university will be studying 50 hours a week and they still find things like Electrodynamics hard and that there is not enough time in the week.

It would take at least as long to get through Boas or Landau.

Fernando Rios said:
Then I tried to read Introduction to Electrodynamics (written by Griffiths), but I didn't understand it.
That suggests to me that you should get one of the standard first-year calculus based intro physics books (e.g. Halliday/Resnick/Walker) and study the chapters on electromagnetism, then return to Griffiths.

As an engineer, you probably took a first-year physics course that included electromagnetism, but as a mechanical engineer you've probably used little or no electromagnetism in later courses or in your work. You've probably forgotten most of it and need to start from scratch.

Last edited:

What is the best way to self-study physics for a B.S. in ME and PhD in Nanotech?

The best way to self-study physics for these degrees is to start by building a strong foundation in mathematics, as it is the language of physics. Then, focus on understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of physics, rather than memorizing equations. Utilize online resources, such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems, to supplement your learning. It is also helpful to regularly review and practice previous material to ensure a thorough understanding.

How can I balance self-studying physics with my other coursework and responsibilities?

Time management is key when self-studying physics. Create a schedule that allows for dedicated study time each day, and stick to it. Prioritize your tasks and make sure to allocate enough time for studying. Additionally, try to find a quiet and distraction-free environment to study in, and take breaks when needed to avoid burnout.

What are some effective study techniques for learning physics?

Some effective study techniques for learning physics include actively engaging with the material, such as by taking notes, summarizing key concepts, and creating study guides. Practice problems are also essential for reinforcing understanding and identifying areas that need improvement. Additionally, teaching the material to someone else, or even just explaining it to yourself, can also be helpful in solidifying your understanding.

How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics?

Staying motivated while self-studying physics can be challenging, but it is important to remember your end goal and the reasons why you are pursuing these degrees. Set small, achievable goals for each study session and reward yourself when you meet them. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to stay accountable and motivated.

Are there any specific resources or tools that would be beneficial for self-studying physics?

There are many resources and tools available for self-studying physics, such as textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problem sets, and study guides. Additionally, there are also physics simulation software and apps that can help visualize and understand complex concepts. It is important to find the resources that work best for your learning style and utilize them effectively.