1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-taught physics

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1
    (I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong forum; I wasn't sure where to put it) Anyway, I am very interested in studying physics, but my degree (CS) only requires one basic class in classical mechanics. I could take more physics courses to fill science electives, but the physics curriculum and organization at the university are very poor. Therefore, I am interested in trying to teach myself in my spare time, but I am not sure how to go about that (I plan to study math up to differential equations). Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

4. Sep 7, 2014 #3

Rocket50

Gold Member

Is a double major an option?

If not, you'll just need to learn it on the side through books. You can also use MIT OCW, edX, Coursera as supplements. As for books, just go through Morin/Klepper -> Purcell -> Griffiths and see if you still enjoy physics.

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4
    Doug, do you know of other free ebooks written in that style? For any subject really, but I'm specifically interested in mechanics and E&M.

Fitzpatrick at UT has some, but he's too verbose for my liking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook