1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-Taught Physics

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1
    Hey, everyone. I just found this board tonight, and I would definitely appreciate some insight on physics reference and learning materials.

Can anybody recommend a good self-taught book (or set of books) for physics? Recently I renewed an interest in physics (as kind of a hobby), and I am looking for something more rigorous than an introductory college text. For now, I would like to focus strictly on classical physics to review, reinforce, and fill in some of the gaps at an intermediate level. Hopefully there is something available with a good blend of conceptual and mathematical. Any ideas?

Backgroud
    - Full-time engineer
    - BS in Eng, currently working on MS
    - Intro physics, circuits, materials, statics, dynamics in college (math up to partial differentials with some vector calc)
    - Intuitive thinker but like to calibrate intuition with equations

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Goldstein's Classical Mechanics and/or Mechanics by Landau & Lif****z

4. Jun 2, 2005 #3
  5. Oct 15, 2011 #4
    Mechanics: Goldstein Classical Mechanics (2nd edition or less), then Lanczos' Variational Principles.

Thermodynamics: Zemansky Thermodynamics (4th ed) and Howard Reiss' Methods of Thermodynamics

Statistical mechanics: Hill's introductory book

Electrodynamics: Arthur Kip's electricity and magnetism.

Quantum Mechanics: Resnick and Eisberg's Quantum mechanics of molecules, particles, etc.

Relativity: Hartle's relativity

After this intermediate stage, move on to the Landau's series.

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5
    Also, forget about enrolling in a physics course in the university.
    Great minds learn best by self-teaching.

Universities serve little purpose beyond granting degrees and PhDs.

7. Oct 15, 2011 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Dude, the post preceding yours in this thread was more than six years ago!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?