How can I self-teach physics with only an 8th grade math education?

In summary, a high school student interested in physics and cosmology, but only has a math education up to 8th grade, is looking for books to help them understand physics. The recommended books for creating a strong foundation in math and science are the Art of Problem Solving by Lehoczky/Rusczyk, which covers math up to grade 12. Investing in the first and second volume with solution books has been highly beneficial for the education of a senior high school student.
brenneng
I am a high school student interested in physics and cosmology, but only have a math education that goes up to 8th grade (linear equations, just real simple stuff) I think I'm pretty goodarn at self teaching and want to get some books so I can work my way up to understandino physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the typos...

The number one reccomended math books to create a foundation for any math/science future are the, Art of Problem Solving by Lehoczky/Rusczyk. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/contests.php. Buying the first and second volume together with the solution books was the BEST investment for my education I had ever made. I am currently a senior in high school and I wish somebody told me about these books earlier in my life.

brenneng said:
I am a high school student interested in physics and cosmology, but only have a math education that goes up to 8th grade (linear equations, just real simple stuff)

You should think of the math needed as part of learning the Physics. This book, for example, covers math through grade 12:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
brenneng said:
I am a high school student interested in physics and cosmology, but only have a math education that goes up to 8th grade (linear equations, just real simple stuff) I think I'm pretty goodarn at self teaching and want to get some books so I can work my way up to understandino physics.

The number one reccomended math books to create a foundation for any math/science future are the, Art of Problem Solving by Lehoczky/Rusczyk. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/contests.php. Buying the first and second volume together with the solution books was the BEST investment for my education I had ever made. I am currently a senior in high school and I wish somebody told me about these books earlier in my life.

1. What is the best self-teach physics book for beginners?

There are many great self-teach physics books available, so the best one for beginners may vary based on personal preferences. Some popular options include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker.

2. Are self-teach physics books sufficient for learning physics without a teacher?

Self-teach physics books can be a helpful resource for learning physics, but they may not be sufficient on their own. Having a teacher or mentor to guide you, answer questions, and provide feedback is often necessary for a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. What topics are typically covered in self-teach physics books?

Self-teach physics books typically cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. Some books may also include sections on astrophysics, relativity, and other specialized topics.

4. Can self-teach physics books prepare someone for advanced physics courses?

Self-teach physics books can provide a solid foundation for advanced physics courses, but they may not cover all of the material in depth. It is important to supplement self-study with additional resources and seek guidance from a teacher or mentor for more complex concepts.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to understand self-teach physics books?

A basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is necessary for understanding most self-teach physics books. Some books may also require knowledge of calculus for more advanced topics. However, there are also self-teach physics books that cater to readers with different levels of mathematical background, so it is important to choose a book that is suitable for your level.