1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-teaching and colleges

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    I am in high school and hacve yet to take a formal physics class. However, I am trying to teach myself. What books are a great introduction to particle physics/quantum mechanics or astrophysics. I may not be an expert, but im a sharp kid and can figure things out. Right now all i have is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

On another note, does UC Santa Barbara or UC Davis have a good physics department. I am wondering because I am stuck between either a biology major, (of some sort) or a physics major(of some sort)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    You should learn standard introductory physics first before you think about particle physics, quantum mechanics, or astrophysics. They all build off of introductory physics.
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    You are right! Do what You love and You don't be in error.
    The best books are the books that:
    1. You love to read.
    2. You can conceive 10% of the book after 10 readings from 1 page to the last page.

You should know that physics is the science and biology is the art (in my mind), but both demand creativity and (excuse ) love.

While absence of cold war, biology has the priority, but who knows modern politics striving nations :(((
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?