Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-teaching and colleges

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    I am in high school and hacve yet to take a formal physics class. However, I am trying to teach myself. What books are a great introduction to particle physics/quantum mechanics or astrophysics. I may not be an expert, but im a sharp kid and can figure things out. Right now all i have is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

On another note, does UC Santa Barbara or UC Davis have a good physics department. I am wondering because I am stuck between either a biology major, (of some sort) or a physics major(of some sort)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    You should learn standard introductory physics first before you think about particle physics, quantum mechanics, or astrophysics. They all build off of introductory physics.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    You are right! Do what You love and You don't be in error.
    The best books are the books that:
    1. You love to read.
    2. You can conceive 10% of the book after 10 readings from 1 page to the last page.

You should know that physics is the science and biology is the art (in my mind), but both demand creativity and (excuse ) love.

While absence of cold war, biology has the priority, but who knows modern politics striving nations :(((

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook