Is it possible to self-teach Calculus BC in 3 months?

In summary, if you are a high school student and are doing this for college credit, you should be okay as long as you are good at math. You should also be aware that BC covers more difficult topics than AB, so if you don't feel like you understand everything after doing BC, you should retake Calc II.
Ethan Hummel
Hello I am self teaching myself AP Calculus BC and the exam is on May 5. I was wondering if there were any good online resources for me to use online and I have a textbook which is James Stewarts Calculus 5th Edition. Do you think this is possible to self teach myself Calculus BC in 3 months also what would be the best way to do so. Thank you for your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on multiple things. First, I'm assuming you've learned the "A" portion of Calc? Second, are you a high school student doing this to get college credit for Calc I & II? Third, how much time do you have available to devote to learning BC? And finally, how good of a student are you?

mrnike992 said:
This depends on multiple things. First, I'm assuming you've learned the "A" portion of Calc? Second, are you a high school student doing this to get college credit for Calc I & II? Third, how much time do you have available to devote to learning BC? And finally, how good of a student are you?
Hey thank you for responding. What exactly do you mean by do I know the A part of calculus. Is that like precalculus. And yes i am a high school student doing this for college credit, and I can devote much time to learning CALC AB because this is my goal and I'm willing to devote a lot of time to it. And I would could consider myself a good student I take all honors and have a's in everything

No, as far as I know, (correct me if I'm mistaken), AB covers limits, all basic derivation methods and integration methods. BC covers more difficult integration techniques, including integration by parts and trigonometric substitution, as well as sequence and infinite series. BC should also cover parametric equations and polar coordinate calculus. Basically anything up to vector calculus.

Now this could be wrong; I took AB Calc in high school, then Calc II and III in college, so this is just my best guess. I know that on the AP BC Calc test that if you don't do too hot on the BC portion but do well on the AB portion, you can still get AB credit at most schools, which is roughly equivalent to Calc I.

Personally, BC isn't too terrible, but if at the end of the semester you don't feel like you 100% understand the topics, I'd recommend retaking Calc II, as I've heard that a good understanding of infinite series is important for Dif EQ and beyond. This is of course if it pertains to your intended major.

Hope I could help!

1. What is Calculus BC?

Calculus BC is an advanced level mathematics course that covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. It is typically taken by high school students who have already completed Calculus AB or have a strong foundation in pre-calculus.

2. Is it possible to teach myself Calculus BC?

Yes, it is possible to self-teach Calculus BC, but it may require a significant amount of time and effort. It is important to have a strong understanding of pre-calculus concepts and to have access to quality resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems.

3. What are the benefits of self-teaching Calculus BC?

Self-teaching allows for a more flexible learning schedule and the ability to focus on specific topics that may be more challenging. It also fosters independent learning and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any disadvantages to self-teaching Calculus BC?

One disadvantage is the lack of guidance and support from a teacher. It may also be more difficult to stay motivated and on track without the structure of a traditional classroom setting.

5. How can I assess my understanding of the material when self-teaching Calculus BC?

There are several ways to assess your understanding, such as taking practice tests, solving challenging problems, and seeking feedback from others. It may also be helpful to periodically review concepts and seek additional resources if needed.