Strategies for Self-Teaching Math and Physics: Seeking Support and Resources

In summary, the author is thinking of teaching themselves some topics in maths and physics for fun over the summer, but they find that they need a teacher/lecturer to explain some concepts to them when the books go all sketchy. They wonder if anybody knows of a way to combat this, or knows of a decent tutoring program that the author could join for the summer. The author also suggests that people look into a school that offers free video lectures in maths and physics. Finally, the author warns people against self-study with Riley, as there are not enough problems for each topic to make sure one really understands the material. The author suggests Boas's book as a better option for self-study.
Series
I'm thinking of teaching myself some topics in maths and physics for fun over the summer.

However, I've found that I usually need a teacher/lecturer to explain some concepts to me when the books go all sketchy in those areas. I need this especially when I can't see where I've gone wrong in my working or if I don't fully understand the solutions.

Does anybody know of a way to combat this, or know of a decent tutoring program that I could join for the summer?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some schools that offer free video lectures in Math and Physics. I don't know what Math or Physics you want to do but MIT has a wide range of it.

Link: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

another good place is Kahn academy.

or you could log onto a physics forum type website where people who know math and physics hang out. you could ask them when you get stuck. =]

If you are studying on your own, you should make sure to only study one thing at a time.

I tried to self-study last summer, and I only really made progress once I decided to focus on getting through one book.

I wonder, which topics in math are you talking about exactly?

Basics? Or something advanced?

Calculus? Or something other?

I was thinking of going through a book like "Mathematical methods for physics and engineering" Riley et al, which has a bunch of maths topics in the book.

My main aim really is to develop my insight and intuition of physics and my problem solving skills. However, what I have found at university is that you sometimes need to ask other people for help to clarify the problems you are having with the subject, as most books can't cater for that.

The point of this thread is to address this; I basically need a good teacher who I can go to during the summer and ask questions. Or have a good tutor online or something.

As for particular topics I'd like to go through, I would like to do Fourier analysis, go into more depth with matrices and vector calculus, partial differential equations and possibly some tensor work. Although I may change my mind and do loads of mechanics, like lagrangian mechanics and fluids.

The reason why I want to do the maths is because then I'd be able to focus on the physics at university without having difficulty with the maths.

Last edited:
klackity said:
If you are studying on your own, you should make sure to only study one thing at a time.

I tried to self-study last summer, and I only really made progress once I decided to focus on getting through one book.

Thanks for the advice. I will do hopefully.

Also, does anybody know where to buy the instructors manual of university physics OR fundamentals of physics? That would be a great help too.

My guess is you can't if you're not an instructor, but maybe someone else can chip into confirm or refute this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a word of caution, I would stay away from Riley for self-studying. There aren't enough problems for each topic for one to make sure one really understands the material, and hints rather than answers are given in the back, so it's difficult to check your understanding. Although these are all issues that can be remedied in a classroom setting, the lack of self-verification might prove a hindrance to solid learning. You might have better luck with Boas's book.

Leveret said:
Just as a word of caution, I would stay away from Riley for self-studying. There aren't enough problems for each topic for one to make sure one really understands the material, and hints rather than answers are given in the back, so it's difficult to check your understanding. Although these are all issues that can be remedied in a classroom setting, the lack of self-verification might prove a hindrance to solid learning. You might have better luck with Boas's book.

Thanks for the feedback.

However, I will obviously have questions to ask when I can't see where I have gone wrong in my method. So, where can I discuss this apart from physics forums?

What are the benefits of self-teaching over the summer?

Self-teaching over the summer allows for a more flexible and personalized learning experience. It can help improve critical thinking skills, time management, and self-motivation. Additionally, it allows for the exploration of new topics and interests outside of a traditional classroom setting.

What resources are available for self-teaching over the summer?

There are numerous resources available for self-teaching over the summer, including online courses, textbooks, educational websites, and interactive learning tools. Many public libraries also offer free access to educational materials and resources.

How can I stay motivated while self-teaching over the summer?

Setting clear and achievable goals, creating a structured study schedule, and finding a study partner or accountability partner can help with staying motivated while self-teaching over the summer. It can also be helpful to take breaks and reward yourself for completing tasks.

What are some tips for effective self-teaching over the summer?

Some tips for effective self-teaching over the summer include setting specific learning objectives, staying organized, actively engaging in the material, and seeking help or guidance when needed. It is also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy balance between studying and other activities.

How can self-teaching over the summer help prepare for the upcoming school year?

Self-teaching over the summer can help improve academic skills and knowledge, making it easier to transition back into a school setting. It can also provide a head start on upcoming coursework, reducing stress and allowing for more time to focus on other subjects during the school year.