Teaching Yourself Electrical Engineering from Scratch

In summary, it is possible to teach oneself electrical engineering through internet materials and self-study, but it would be difficult to reach the level of a certified professional without the guidance of a formal academic program. While some people have successfully done this, it may not be recognized by employers and may be more for personal interest rather than job prospects. It is important to have a structured curriculum and understanding of what is necessary to learn, but self-discipline may also be a challenge without an instructor.
paranormal
Is it possible to teach myself Electrical engineering from scratch using only the internet and available material (I know there are open courses and such)?

I am not interested in a degree at the moment and neither the expenses and lifestyle university entails for 4 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose this depends on what you mean by "electrical engineering." Certainly you can lean aspects of it - and I would even go so far as to say that if you have the drive you can get to a level where you can accomplish what you are hoping to use those skills for. However, without the guidance of a formal academic program it would be very difficult to educate yourself to the standard of a certified professional electrical engineer.

Thats a term from a different language. For discussion sake we can say any physics studies at B.A level.

Also has anyone heard of other people doing so?

Last edited:
Yes. You'd need more than internet materials though. You'd need to get a list of appropriate textbooks and read through them. However, you'd miss out on a lot of the lab components. And engineering, being a practical science, is all about labs.

You wouldn't get a job doing that though, so this would be purely for interest's sake.

Sure there are people who've done this. Didn't Bill Gates teach himself computer science?

employers typically don't respect home school BS degrees, but it would definitely be possible to learn it all, especially if you follow a curriculum of a university. It would be important to know what's important and what you need to know, so you don't miss anything or waste time on trivial matters. Itd be difficult to stay disciplined and actually do problems without an instructor though

ekrim said:
employers typically don't respect home school BS degrees

mainly because for home degrees BS has a different meaning.

What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves the analysis and manipulation of electrical circuits and devices, as well as the development of new technologies for power generation, transmission, and distribution.

Can I teach myself electrical engineering from scratch?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself electrical engineering from scratch. However, it requires a lot of dedication, self-motivation, and hard work. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as access to quality learning materials such as textbooks, online courses, and practical projects.

What are the essential topics to learn in electrical engineering?

Some of the essential topics to learn in electrical engineering include circuit analysis, electronics, digital systems, electromagnetics, power systems, control systems, and signal processing. It is also important to have a basic understanding of computer programming and software tools commonly used in the field.

How long does it take to learn electrical engineering?

The time it takes to learn electrical engineering varies depending on the individual's background, learning pace, and level of dedication. It can take anywhere from 2-4 years to obtain a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, but it may take longer if you are teaching yourself. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts rather than rushing through the material.

What are the career opportunities for electrical engineers?

Electrical engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as power and energy, telecommunications, electronics, computer hardware, and consumer electronics. Some common job titles for electrical engineers include electrical design engineer, power systems engineer, electronics engineer, and control systems engineer.