Self-Teaching Applied Math & Engineering: Advice Needed

In summary, the speaker is in their second year of applied math and engineering but cannot take courses on quantum mechanics. They are considering teaching themselves using a textbook or online resources. Some recommended resources include the Gasiorowicz textbook, Leonard Susskind's lectures from Stanford, and the book "Quantum Mechanics" by Alastair I. M. Rae, which uses physical examples to introduce the subject.
mitchw
I'm going into my second year of applied math and engineering. My problem is that my degree requirements do not allow me to take any courses on quantum mechanics. Therefore, I am thinking about teaching myself from a textbook or something of that sort.

I was wondering if someone could give some input on what resources I should use and how I should go about this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have the math background, I've found Gasiorowicz to bequite good.

Math background won't be an issue...any idea where to find video lectures? I've also heard good things about Griffiths.

the leonard susskind lectures from stanford are excellent.

type quantum mechanics lecture 1 into youtube.

'Quantum mechanics' by Alastair I. M. Rae is good. He uses physical examples to introduce the subject, instead of just stating the maths at the start.

Edit: this is one of the books I was recommended for my 3-year undergraduate physics degree, so its good for beginners.

1. What is the best way to approach self-teaching applied math and engineering?

The best way to approach self-teaching applied math and engineering is to start by setting specific learning goals and creating a structured study plan. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic math and science concepts before delving into more complex topics. Utilizing online resources, textbooks, and practice problems can also be helpful in self-teaching these subjects.

2. How can I stay motivated while self-teaching applied math and engineering?

Staying motivated while self-teaching applied math and engineering can be challenging, but setting achievable goals and tracking your progress can help keep you motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and finding a study buddy or joining online study groups can provide support and accountability.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when self-teaching applied math and engineering?

Some common mistakes to avoid when self-teaching applied math and engineering include skipping over important foundational concepts, not practicing enough problems, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to not get discouraged by mistakes and to continue learning from them.

4. How can I ensure that I am understanding the material while self-teaching applied math and engineering?

To ensure understanding while self-teaching applied math and engineering, it is important to actively engage with the material by practicing problems and explaining concepts to others. Seeking out additional resources and seeking feedback from teachers or mentors can also help confirm understanding.

5. Is self-teaching applied math and engineering a viable option for a career in these fields?

While self-teaching applied math and engineering can be a valuable way to gain knowledge and skills in these fields, it may not be enough to secure a career in them. It is important to also pursue formal education, internships, and other hands-on experiences to complement self-teaching and make yourself a competitive candidate in the job market.