1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SEM involving a logarithmic

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    Hi, this isn't exactly a homework question, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to put it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have an equation in the form:
    log(a)=log(b)+c.
    I also have standard errors (SEMs) for b and c. I want to find the standard error for log(a) (i.e. log(a) +/- E(log(a)))

2. Relevant equations
    I know the SEM of some quantity x, where x:=y+z, is given by Ex=sqrt(Ey^2+Ez^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem is really trying to find the error of the log.

In high school I would have solved it by choseing the largest of:
    abs(log(b+Eb)-log(b)) and abs(log(b-Eb)-log(b)), where Eb is the SEM of b.
    if we let this be g then
    E(log(a))=sqrt(g^2+Ec^2)

However, given I am doing uni research I am not sure whether this would be acceptable.

I have also considered making a Monte-Carlo simulation of the problem. Drawing random numbers from the distributions b~N(b,Eb) and c~N(c,Ec) and finding the mean and standard deviation of the simulation. However I would like to get an analytical solution.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

When you have a function of several variables with errors a common approach is to take partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then combine the errors in quadrature.

Say you have ##f(a,b,c)## with ##a ± Δa##, ##b ± Δb##, and ##c ± Δc##. Then the total error is given by:

$$Δf = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}\right)^2 Δa^2 + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}\right)^2 Δb^2 + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial c}\right)^2 Δc^2 }$$

Do you remember how to differentiate the log function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted