Yes, the derivative of log(x) is 1/x.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the standard error for log(a) when given an equation in the form of log(a)=log(b)+c and standard errors for b and c. The attempt at a solution involves using partial derivatives and combining errors in quadrature. The suggestion is to differentiate the log function to find the total error.
TheBoro76
Hi, this isn't exactly a homework question, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to put it.

Homework Statement

I have an equation in the form:
log(a)=log(b)+c.
I also have standard errors (SEMs) for b and c. I want to find the standard error for log(a) (i.e. log(a) +/- E(log(a)))

Homework Equations

I know the SEM of some quantity x, where x:=y+z, is given by Ex=sqrt(Ey^2+Ez^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is really trying to find the error of the log.

In high school I would have solved it by choseing the largest of:
abs(log(b+Eb)-log(b)) and abs(log(b-Eb)-log(b)), where Eb is the SEM of b.
if we let this be g then
E(log(a))=sqrt(g^2+Ec^2)

However, given I am doing uni research I am not sure whether this would be acceptable.

I have also considered making a Monte-Carlo simulation of the problem. Drawing random numbers from the distributions b~N(b,Eb) and c~N(c,Ec) and finding the mean and standard deviation of the simulation. However I would like to get an analytical solution.Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have a function of several variables with errors a common approach is to take partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and then combine the errors in quadrature.

Say you have ##f(a,b,c)## with ##a ± Δa##, ##b ± Δb##, and ##c ± Δc##. Then the total error is given by:

$$Δf = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}\right)^2 Δa^2 + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}\right)^2 Δb^2 + \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial c}\right)^2 Δc^2 }$$

Do you remember how to differentiate the log function?

1. What is SEM involving a logarithmic?

SEM (Standard Error of the Mean) involving a logarithmic transformation is a statistical method used to analyze data that has been transformed using a logarithmic function. This transformation is often used to normalize data that is skewed or has a wide range of values, making it easier to interpret and analyze.

2. Why is a logarithmic transformation used in SEM?

A logarithmic transformation is used in SEM to help make the data more normally distributed. This is important because many statistical tests and models assume that the data follows a normal distribution. By transforming the data, we can meet this assumption and make our analysis more accurate and reliable.

3. How is a logarithmic transformation applied in SEM?

To apply a logarithmic transformation in SEM, the natural logarithm (ln) is taken of each data point. This means that the value of each data point is replaced by its natural logarithm. This transformation can be done manually or using software such as SPSS or R.

4. What are the benefits of using a logarithmic transformation in SEM?

Using a logarithmic transformation in SEM can have several benefits. It can help to reduce the influence of extreme values in the data, improve the normality of the data, and make the data more interpretable. It can also help to meet the assumptions of many statistical tests, making the results more reliable.

5. Are there any limitations to using a logarithmic transformation in SEM?

While a logarithmic transformation can be useful in many cases, there are also some limitations to consider. The transformation may not be appropriate for all types of data, and it can also change the interpretation of the results. Additionally, the interpretation of the transformed data may not be as intuitive as the original data. It is important to carefully consider the data and the goals of the analysis before deciding whether or not to use a logarithmic transformation in SEM.