1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semantic/Logical Issue

1. Jan 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the system ##AX=0##, where
    $$A = \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}$$
    is a 2x2 matrix over the field F. Prove that if ##ad-bc=0## and some entry of ##A## is different from ##0##, then there is a solution ##(p,q)## such that ##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Am I asked to find the vector ##(p,q)## for which the statement "##(x,y)## is a solution if and only if there is some scalar ##t## such that ##x=pt## and ##y = qt##" holds, or am I assuming that I have such a solution ##(p,q)## and proving that this statement?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the problem doesn't ask you to find [itex](p,q)[/itex], only to show that if [itex](p,q)[/itex] is a solution, and [itex](x,y)[/itex] is a second solution, then there is some [itex]t[/itex] such that [itex]x=pt[/itex] and [itex]y=qt[/itex].

For a 2x2 matrix, it's easy enough to convert [itex]\left( \begin{array}\\ a & b \\ c & d \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} \\ x \\ y \end{array} \right) = 0[/itex] into two ordinary (non-matrix) equations for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] to see how the possible values of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] must be related.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted