1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semi-basic math symbols question

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone, first time on the forum, so please feel free to give me unsolicited advice on if there's a better place to post this:

if i have a function f(x), is there a way to symbolize 'solve for x'.

for example, if f(x) == 3x^2, and I'm setting f(x) = 3, I want to be able to symbolically do something like x = f_inverse(3), so that we solve for x.
    3x^2 = 3, x = 1.

is there a method to represent this symbolically like what I tried doing with f_inverse above?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I moved your thread out of the Homework section as it seemed a better fit in the General Math section.
    In general, no, there's not a way to solve for x in the equation y = f(x), unless the function is invertible. The condition for invertibility is that the function is one-to-one.

Your example function is not invertible. The function f(x) = 3x2 is not one-to-one, so doesn't have an inverse. If you solve the equation 3 = 3x2, you get two solutions: x = 1 or x = -1.

A function that is invertible is y = g(x) = ex. This is a one-to-one function, so there is an inverse that is itself a function; namely, x = g-1 (y) = ln(y).

Note to Fredrik, in case he steps in. I have used the notation sloppily. f above maps x to 3x2. I am aware of the difference between a function f and a function value f(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook