1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semi-empirical mass formula.

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the semi-empirical mass formula to show that when an even-even nucleus of large Z undergoes fission into two identical odd-even fragments energy will be liberated provided that the approximate condition:

c1(A) + c2(Z²) + C3(A)^-5/12 > 0

is satisfied and give values for the constants c1, c2 and c3.

2. Relevant equations

Semi-empirical mass formula

3. The attempt at a solution

Do I use an example of any atom which is even-even and two other atoms which are odd-even. Then put it into the semi-empirical mass formula and then what exactly do I need?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2
  4. Mar 4, 2009 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

No, you need to demonstrate that it's true for any even-even nucleus of large Z and A decaying into two identical odd-even fragments (so what would the Z and A values of each fragment be?).

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    The N = odd and Z= even for both identical fragments. But how would this help me?

6. Mar 5, 2009 #5
    I'm having problems with the same question.

My thinking so far:

Each of the new nuclei will have 1/2A and 1/2Z

For energy to be released the binding energy of the intial nuclei must be greater than two times the binding energy for one of the resultant nuclei.

The odd-even means that the last term of the semi-empirical mass formula is 0, for even-even if delta(Z,A) is 1

I've tried setting this up as an inequality and rearranging but I can't see how an A^(-5/12) would be arrived at. Are there terms that can be neglected for a large Z or was that just in the question to show the SEMF would be accurate in this case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook