Semi-infinite wave equation

In summary, to solve the wave equation on the semi-infinite line x<=0 with the given boundary and initial conditions, we can use the general solution \Phi = f(x-t) + g(x+t), where f(x) and g(x) are determined by the initial and boundary conditions. In this case, the solution is \Phi = tanh(x-t). If tanh(x) is not an odd function, we can adjust the initial condition to make it an odd function and then solve for the solution using the same method.
the_godfather

Homework Statement

solve the wave equation (dx^2 -dt^2)[tex]\Phi[/tex] = 0 on the semi-infinite line x<=0 with boundary conditions [tex]\Phi[/tex] at x=0 = 0 and initial conditions [tex]\Phi[/tex] at t=0 = tanh(x)

Homework Equations

solution of the wave equation is of the form [tex]\Phi[/tex] = f(x-t) + g(x+t).

[tex]\Phi[/tex] at t=0 = tanh(x)
tanh(x) is an odd function

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that [tex]\Phi[/tex] at t=0 = tanh(x) which i will call A
i know that [tex]\Phi[/tex] at x=0 is 0, which i will call B

am i correct in thinking that i can simply add the two equations together to get 2[tex]\Phi[/tex] = f(x-t) + g(x+t) = A + B
therefore giving [tex]\Phi[/tex] = [tanh(x+t) tanh(x-t)]/2
also what happens if tanh(x) is not an odd function? how can i turn it into an odd function?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is partially correct. You correctly identified that the general solution to the wave equation is of the form \Phi = f(x-t) + g(x+t). However, when solving for the boundary conditions, you should be using the initial conditions at t=0 and the boundary condition at x=0, not the other way around.

So, using the initial condition \Phi at t=0 = tanh(x), we can set f(x) = tanh(x) and g(x) = 0. Then, using the boundary condition \Phi at x=0 = 0, we can set f(0) = 0 and g(0) = 0.

Therefore, our solution becomes \Phi = tanh(x-t), which satisfies both the initial and boundary conditions.

If tanh(x) is not an odd function, we can still use the same method to solve for the solution. However, we would need to adjust the initial condition to make it an odd function. For example, if we have the initial condition \Phi at t=0 = x^2, we can redefine it as \Phi at t=0 = x^2 - 1, which is an odd function. Then, our solution would be \Phi = (x^2 - 1)(x-t) + g(x+t), where g(x) is determined by the boundary condition.

1. What is the semi-infinite wave equation?

The semi-infinite wave equation is a mathematical model used to describe the propagation of waves in a medium that extends infinitely in one direction and is bounded in the other direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study wave phenomena.

2. What are the assumptions made in the semi-infinite wave equation?

The semi-infinite wave equation assumes that the medium is homogeneous (the properties of the medium are the same at all points), isotropic (the properties of the medium are the same in all directions), and linear (the response of the medium is directly proportional to the applied force).

3. How is the semi-infinite wave equation solved?

The semi-infinite wave equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and Laplace transforms. The appropriate method depends on the specific boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem.

4. What applications does the semi-infinite wave equation have?

The semi-infinite wave equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including the study of electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in fields such as signal processing, medical imaging, and geophysics.

5. What are the limitations of the semi-infinite wave equation?

The semi-infinite wave equation is a simplified model and may not accurately describe all wave phenomena. It also assumes that the medium is infinite in one direction, which may not be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not account for nonlinear effects in the medium.