Is it possible to train the mind to have a photographic memory?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, the person has a strong short term memory and is able to remember numbers by visually reading them. However, if they do not repeat the numbers within a few minutes, they may mix up the order. They do not have a photographic memory and wonder if they have a good short term memory or a weak/semi-photographic memory. They also question if there are techniques to improve memory function.
Werg22
When I look at a sequence of numbers, I can close my eyes and read the numbers out. This is how I normally remember phone numbers, id numbers and everything else including numbers. However, if I don't go through the process of reading it out within a few minutes or so, I may interchange the position of two numbers. Now, I don't think I have a photographic memory, far from it, I wouldn't be able to read out a text from sheer memory for example. Could you say weak or semi photographic? Or maybe this just means I have a good short memory?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a very good short term memory. The average capacity is seven (plus or minus two) items that can be held in STM with rehearsal and no distractions (excluding chunking techniques). About how many numbers can you accurately retain in a sequence this way?

Werg22 said:
When I look at a sequence of numbers, I can close my eyes and read the numbers out. This is how I normally remember phone numbers, id numbers and everything else including numbers. However, if I don't go through the process of reading it out within a few minutes or so, I may interchange the position of two numbers. Now, I don't think I have a photographic memory, far from it, I wouldn't be able to read out a text from sheer memory for example. Could you say weak or semi photographic? Or maybe this just means I have a good short memory?
I wonder if it is possible to train the mind to generate it's own "photographic" memory? There must be techniques available to enhance memory function?

1. What is semi-photographic memory?

Semi-photographic memory is a type of memory that falls between eidetic or "photographic" memory and typical memory. It is characterized by the ability to remember visual information with above average accuracy, but not to the level of being able to recall exact details like a photograph.

2. How does semi-photographic memory differ from eidetic memory?

Semi-photographic memory is often considered to be less intense and less precise than eidetic memory. While individuals with semi-photographic memory can remember visual information with above average accuracy, they may not be able to recall it as vividly as those with eidetic memory.

3. Is semi-photographic memory a rare ability?

Semi-photographic memory is not as rare as eidetic memory, but it is still considered to be a relatively uncommon ability. It is estimated that only about 5-10% of the population possesses some level of semi-photographic memory.

4. Can someone develop semi-photographic memory?

There is no conclusive evidence that suggests that someone can develop semi-photographic memory. However, research has shown that certain techniques and exercises can improve memory and visualization skills, which may help individuals with semi-photographic memory to enhance their abilities.

5. Is semi-photographic memory a reliable form of memory?

Semi-photographic memory can be considered a reliable form of memory, as individuals with this ability can remember visual information with above average accuracy. However, it is important to note that memory is not a perfect recording of events, and there may be some level of distortion or inaccuracy in all forms of memory, including semi-photographic memory.