Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Semi)Positive definiteness of product of symmetric positive (semi)definite matrices

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    Here is my problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

Let P be a projection matrix (symmetric, idempotent, positive semidefinite with 0 or 1 eigenvalues). For example, P = X*inv(X'*X)*X' where X is a regressor matrix in a least square problem.

Let A be a symmetric real matrix with only integer elements where the center submatrix (of a given size) is a (square, of course) matrix with identical elements, say 5. But the other elements of A are all smaller than the (common) element of the center submatrix (say, 5).

Q1: Is (P.*A)*P psd, nsd or indeterminant? where P.*A is the element-wise product of P and A (the Hadamard product)

Q2: Is P*(P.*A)*(I-P) psd, nsd or indeterminant? where I is the identity matrix of conformable size.

Comments: I have done some numerical examples in Matlab and it seems that the first matrix is psd and the second matrix has all zero eigenvalues (but not a zero matrix). Any idea as to how to prove the results?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    Re: (Semi)Positive definiteness of product of symmetric positive (semi)definite matri

I think I can show Q2 now. Q1 is still a puzzle. Any help is appreciated.
    Also regarding the matrix A, does any one know of a theorem regarding the center submatrix of a matrix?

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    Re: (Semi)Positive definiteness of product of symmetric positive (semi)definite matri

To put this simply, we know in general that if A and B are psd their product A*B is NOT necessarily psd.

Does anyone know when the product is indeed psd? I am looking for conditions on A and B to ensure the psd of their product.

Thanks a bunch

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4

AB is not even necessarily symmetric. Consider the case where A and B commute (simple case A,B diagonal).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook